switched spa to bromine.

Jonsstihl

Sep 2, 2021
Quebec, canada
So I've gone and done it.

added about 1.5 tablespoons of sodium bromide and am trying to adjust the bromine level slowly.

I started out with 3.5 FC and then added the sodium bromide. then tested BR and was expecting around 7.5-8 but I got around 2 so I added 20 ml of older( 21 081 date code) 10.8% liquid chlorine and it only went up to 3.3 BR. So I added another 20ML and am waiting a bit before testing again. I hope I haven't over shot. the bromine being X 2.25 makes the target range much smaller but I guess it is supposed to be more stable. I am aiming for 6 BR tonight and testing tomorrow so I can see what my daily loss is.

I read that the CL to BR conversion happens very quickly but maybe the sodium bromide is not active yet.

I understand I just multiply my FC reading by 2.25 to convert to BR. Are the CC readings still valid.

My usual dose is 30ML of the same 10.8% LC daily if no one uses the spa before the conversion to bromine. I'm planning on using bromine with a saltron mini for daily dosing and LC for when it gets used but currently no outlet close to the spa so LC is used for all doses. daily and after use.

Last edited:
So I've gone and done it.

added about 1.5 tablespoons of sodium bromide and am trying to adjust the bromine level slowly.

I started out with 3.5 FC and then added the sodium bromide. then tested BR and was expecting around 7.5-8 but I got around 2 so I added 20 ml of older( 21 081 date code) 10.8% liquid chlorine and it only went up to 3.3 BR. So I added another 20ML and am waiting a bit before testing again. I hope I haven't over shot. the bromine being X 2.25 makes the target range much smaller but I guess it is supposed to be more stable. I am aiming for 6 BR tonight and testing tomorrow so I can see what my daily loss is.
You may have simply not added enough sodium bromide. I use a product that is 99% sodium bromide and add 26 grams to my ~180gallon tub on a new fill. I'm not sure the volume of that 26g but I think it is quite a bit more than 1.5 tablespoons. The product I use says to use a half oz (~14g) per 100 gallons of water volume so I would think you'd need to add far more than that.

I definitely see bromine levels >10ppm when I shock.

I was thinking along the same lines - not enough of sodium bromide added to create the bromide bank needed. I usually add about 50g of >99% sodium bromide to my 390g tub to establish a bromide bank. I also know that near-pure sodium bromide is difficult to get here in a Canada. Can you confirm what purity of sodium bromide you added?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.