Swimming in a thunderstorm

Water does NOT conduct electricity --its the IMPURITIES within the water that makes the water conductive. In my line of work-- I work with HIGH current plasma streams --1200 amps at 220 Vdc -- we use water as a shield for the plasma stream.. The water is filtered and DE-IONIZED -- producing a non-conductive field for an effective arc length. But NONE of us will have pure water in our pools. I am the first one to leave mine whenever a storm approaches. If you area is prone to pop up storms -- a lightning detector can be very valuable.

texasdad said:
Mythbusters TV show did an episode on showering during a lightning storm. Their conclusion was that you can not get electrocuted in the shower.......
Mythbusters listed the myth as confirmed, you can get killed in the shower. There is a summary of the episode here.

It is easy enough to find people injured by lighting in the shower. It is more difficult to find documented cases of people killed in the shower, but they are out there.

I also spent an hour Googling this :oops: and I certainly wouldn't go anywhere near water with lightning hitting close to home, although I guess if you're totally immersed, there isn't much of a potential difference across your own body as you are surrounded by the same medium so to speak.

I saw some stats today in a US National Weather service presentation, and was reminded of this thread. Here is a link to the study they referenced: https://www.weather.gov/media/safety/Analysis06-19.pdf

Of particular interest:

"Figure 3.511a shows the breakdown of water-related fatalities. Fishing contributed most (44%) to the water-related deaths with boating (power boats, jet skis, canoes, sailboats, tubes) adding another 20%. About 28% of the victims were involved in beach-related activities, while about 8% of the victims had been swimming. The gender breakdown for water-related activities (not shown) was similar to the overall gender ratio with about 80% of the water-related fatalities being male."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.