SWG vs Hauling Jugs

I have the Intex, and while I think it would be able to work for your size pool, I would not reccommend it for your situation. It does not retain programmed run time if there is any power outage, and that could be a problem if you're in Mexico!
Also, remember that a SWG ONLY works when the pump is running, get one that can generate all of the chlorine you need in the time that it takes to filter your pool.
Do you know how much bleach it takes to maintain your FC level?
how-much-chlorine-can-be-produced-from-a-swg-t6335.html?hilit=pound%20to%20ppm
This might help you "size up" what SWG you might want to get. Also, note that raising your CYA to the reccommended 60-80 for a SWG will DECREASE the FC loss, too. Best Wishes, and Happy Trails!

Steve456 said:
Cost: a SWG will save you money by staying out of a pool store. However, you could just stay out of the pool store. Consider a SWG to be a break even. Your traveling makes a SWG a good idea but do not expect big savings over the BBB method.

Hayward makes a good SWG [actually it is made by Goldline & marketed by Hayward] A 29,000 gallon pool is large. You generally want to purchase a SWG for a larger capacity pool. At least consider a SWG that generates more Cl.

Salt: You want solar salt. Usually in blue bags. Most water softener salt will work – but not all. Do not buy any salt with additives to preventing caking or rust. You want pure salt.

Backwash: Why do you think you need to backwash twice a week? Pool stores tell you to backwash so that you have to replace the chemicals. A sand filter works better with less back washing.

Stabilizer is important for SWG. Get your CYA up to 70 or so & test it several times a summer with a torpidity test. No test strips.

The outer banks are beautiful. Give me free rental & I will make your pool sparkle & teach you how to maintain your pool. Or you can get free advice here & pocket the money!
While I agree on a lot of what you say, but there's too many factors to say they save you money or breaking even. A lot of times they end up costing you more money.

actual-swg-vs-bleach-cost-eye-popping-t9338.html

agree...it's not cost savings...it's convenience...haven't purchased bleach in a month now...hopefully if I keep on top of my numbers, it will stay that way all summer :goodjob:

While I agree on a lot of what you say, but there's too many factors to say they save you money or breaking even. A lot of times they end up costing you more money.

actual-swg-vs-bleach-cost-eye-popping-t9338.html

That post came from me, and I think I should say that I'm still using the Intex SWG, and plan to continue! Not using bleach daily is convenient, but I still keep a quantity of bleach on hand to shock with, and I also keep 3" tabs too.

For unattended pool cleaning and sanitizing, maybe you should look into this-
http://www.aquatron.us/cobia.php

I haven't figured out how it cleans itself out yet(somebody has to empty the bag?), but the concept is intriguing. I found very little online about it.

Oh my goodness! I bought a Super Splash Pool here in AZ last year, and a big part of the reason I decided to go for it instead of the Tuff Pool is I saw the picture of yours in the hurricane! They had it posted up on a board in a prominent place in the show room of Premier Pools.

I have been happy with the pool itself, but not the skimmer or the ladder. Do you have a problem with the round in-pool skimmer angling toward the walls and getting hung up in the "up" position? I do! But maybe that's because I have a round pool and the walls angle in a little toward the top. I also find the ladder wiggly. But I am confident of the pool's ability to withstand the desert's dust storms! :-D

I hijacked my on thread posting the hurricane Isabel pix :-D ! That’s fine and appreciate the comments. I wish I could have taken some pictures later but no way could we open the door…in fact, we should not have even been here! We are slow learners and were here for Ophelia but that was at night and no pictures. Both storms made landfall on our house :shock:. I’ll answer the questions and comment further if Admin doesn’t mind.

The Splash pool is amazing. The picture you see was early in the hurricane…the water got 3-4 feet higher. In Isabel I had left the hoses attached and they pulled out, water drained, and the pool collapsed. In Ophelia, I removed them ahead of time, put in plugs, and the pool withstood the brunt, including total over wash and submersion, with no damage at all. What you don’t see in the picture is the stuff that floated in and pounded the pool for hours…like dock pilings!!! Nary a scratch in the vinyl in either storm.

I’m a geezer and I forgot what happened after Isabel. The pool collapsed and bent a few supports because the storm moved the entire pool several hundred feet from its location. Splash has a heavy vinyl “strap” that attaches to the legs. One came unattached but did not impact the integrity of the pool. I arranged to send the pool back to the manufacturer to get it reattached. I sent them pictures to praise their product. They asked if they could have rights and I said sure. If a product is good then I support it. I never asked and thought it unnecessary, but later they asked if I would mind if they sent me a new pool instead of fixing it as a way of saying thanks for the picture rights. Again, I thought it unnecessary but said ok. The replaced pool survived Ophelia, same conditions as Isabel, including total over wash and submersion, with zero damage and that is the pool you see in the calmer day picture. This is tough vinyl! They have a sales thing where you are invited to try and punch a nail through it. It’s not a gimmick. Both pools were pounded for hours in 60+ MPH winds and cresting seas with barnacle encrusted pilings, dock boards with nails, etc., and never a puncture of any kind. That’s tough!

Re the skimmers and ladder: never had a problem with the skimmers binding to the sides but see where it could happen if not aligned properly. Yep, the ladder is sketchy but I think that is a factor of the design of the pool. We built a deck over one end of ours and put a birthday cake ladder system inside. That is perfect.

Thank all of you for the help that you have given. The pool is finally clearing! Steve

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.