SWG the best answer?

So a variable speed motor can be adjusted manually? man, that sounds like a great option, expect I put a new motor imn like 3 years a ago..but if I have to, I have to. So another question...is the limiting factor on the AQR-15 the cell or the electronics? I dont suppose there is a generic cell that can exceed the 4 ppm output? Needs, how do you calculated the 4ppm? All the comparisons I find always show it as pound or some other measurement..

Thanks again

its both the cell and controller.. I love my curcupool and they have a 7 year warranty where the Hayward only has 1, if something goes on mine at least most of it will be paid to replace it :) the RJ60 has 3 pounds a day now, the biggest SWG before you go to commercial system (that happens to be a Hayward) and its a beast :)
Hayward Saline C 6.0 Commercial Salt Chlorine Generator HCSC60

I'm very glad you asked because I messed up. I had the two units in my formula and didn't fix it. I went back and edited my post.

The formula is 'lbs of chlorine' divided by 'lbs of water' times 1,000,000. So 1.4 lbs of chlorine divided by 316,000 lbs of water times 1,000,000 = 4.4 PPM FC per day. Note I've ignored temperature and other dissolved solids and rounded off the weight of the water. For hourly output, divide by 24 to get 0.18 PPM per hour.

I'm terribly sorry if I threw you off in your decision-making. I actually convert everything to metric, and was focused on making sure that was correct and forgot I had edited to see what two units in series would do.

I do want to be clear that I entirely agree with recommendations from others to go bigger for your pool. I was trying to help with respect to outputs relative to your pool and your Hayward preference, but royally screwed that up!! You'll be a lot happier with a SWG with 2 to 3 lbs per day output (e.g. Pentair IC60; Circupool, etc.). Here's a table that shows most brands: Full Market Comparison of Salt Water Chlorine Generators for Swimming Pools

Yes, variable speed pump RPM can be adjusted between 750 rpm and 3450 rpm in 5 rpm increments. Most have 3 or 4 preset speeds that can be reprogrammed. I use 1100 rpm for skimming and making chlorine at 150 watts, 1950 rpm for solar heating at 550 watts and 2500 rpm for brushing debris to the bottom drain.

I dont suppose there is a generic cell that can exceed the 4 ppm output? Needs, how do you calculated the 4ppm? All the comparisons I find always show it as pound or some other measurement..

Thanks again

Sure, you put my SWG on a 12,000 gallon pool at 100% and you are going to exceed 4ppm. :) That's why they tell you how many lbs of chlorine they can produce a day, because that's what counts, because pool size and need varies.

Needs....No issues, no worries...the first thing Iam going to do is measure my chlorine usage...this week I have used roughly 1ppm per day and its been 90 degrees for the last two days except the water is only 70 so far...I'll keep track for a few weeks...

So I came across this "review" of the Circupool system.....note where it says it took 7 days to raise the chlorine level from 2.5 ppm to 4.2 ppm...if a lowley Hayward can generate 2.2 PPM (1.5 pds per day) a day running 12 hours a day, how is it that the circupool 45 thats generates 2.0 pds per day took 7 days to generate 1.7 ppm per day?

So I came across this "review" of the Circupool system.....note where it says it took 7 days to raise the chlorine level from 2.5 ppm to 4.2 ppm...if a lowley Hayward can generate 2.2 PPM (1.5 pds per day) a day running 12 hours a day, how is it that the circupool 45 thats generates 2.0 pds per day took 7 days to generate 1.7 ppm per day?

oh that one is easy, let's see

no CYA, low CYA, high CYA, algae bloom, green pool, no/low circulation, low salt, no test kit, umm you name it :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Joel, are you using pool math to Calc with chlorine gas, per gallonage?
Because a 2 lb capacity 100%/24 hrs would be 3.2 daily and a 1.5 lb capacity would be 2.4 100%/24 hrs daily -- that's how each would work in your pool at 38,000 gal.

In the review...test they ran it 12 hrs/day, so produced a max of 1.6 ppm. They started around 2.5 ppm and on day 7 got to 4.2. That's roughly .25 ppm per day increase. That would simply mean the pool used an average of just under 1.4 ppm per day.
Very decent considering their cya at 65 was a bit lower than we generally recommend.

For your size of pool, the circupool has a better capacity. That's what you're trying to determine, right?

SWGs always work best if you first raise FC to desired level and likewise use liquid chlorine if/when you need to slam or quickly elevate. They're slow n steady ;)

I actually used this formula which was provided by another member..
'lbs of chlorine' divided by 'lbs of water' times 1,000,000. So 1.4 lbs of chlorine divided by 316,000 lbs of water times 1,000,000 = 4.4 PPM FC per day. So with a Hayward I would produce about 2.2 ppm at 100% if i ran the pump for 12 hours....as far as I can tell that should be sufficient. I actually think that having constant smaller amounts of chlorine being added throughout the day would work better then adding a gallon all at once…anyone have any info on that?
I fully intend to bring all my levels to where I went them before ever running a SWG.
Thanks

That a correct - just checked in pool math. MY numbers were actually wrong as I was using 3/4 and 1lb by mistake ;) Pool Math confirms your Calc.

Meaning disregard my semi-delirious post from the other day please....in the Circupool review they were using twice what I'd said, which is wonky.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.