SWG + SlimeBag = Boom?

Aug 9, 2015
Atlanta, GA
Hi, all. I have an SWG, and new this season have purchased a SlimeBag to help filter out some of the finer bits my sand filter misses (a whole other topic).

Anyway, I noticed that the SlimeBag seems to very easily collect gasses and not allow them to escape. As you probably all know, the SWG creates Hydrogen gas as a byproduct of operation. Well, I found out today that the SlimeBag is indeed very good at collecting this Hydrogen gas, and got quite full during the first run with the bag on and the SWG active. At least, I speculate that it was Hydrogen gas, but didn't actually try to verify. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this, whether or not this is dangerous (seems like it could be), and if there is any easy way to get the SlimeBag to let the Hydrogen free, or some other ingenious way to circumvent this issue?

Ouch. We could have saved you the expense of that SlimeBag because they're not cheap. You could just add a bit of pool DE to your filter and let it trap the microscopic stuff.

As for the gas question I will refer this to @JoyfulNoise

Maddie ☮️

Yeah, that’s not a good setup. Hydrogen gas typically needs a source of ignition to set it off but collecting enough to noticeably fill a bag on your return is dangerous. Sorry, but it’s one or the other. You can use the SlimeBag but only when the SWG is not running.

Thanks for the responses, all.

YippeeSkippy: yes, I've put DE in my sand filter on many previous occasions, but for whatever reason I've never been very happy with it as a solution. It seems to capture stuff very rapidly right away, then I have to backwash, then need to add more, ad nauseum. I'm liking the SlimeBag so far (outside of the Hydrogen collection) as it allows me to save all that backwash water. Actually, one reason I bought it is to try to see if I can backwash through it and back into the pool when the time comes so that I conserve water and chemicals.

As JoyfulNoise noted, I'll probably need to only use the SlimeBag when the SWG is off. That should be easy enough.

I'm still a bit surprised at how well the SlimeBag holds the gas. I would have thought it would be more permeable to it, but it really inflates.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.