SWG sizing question

Vince34

Apr 19, 2021
Nebraska
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I am done with my build thankfully after almost 3 years. The only pool contractor that would travel to my location and build it would not install a salt water system. We have been using pucks even though I have been on here for a while and know of the high cya levels, it is the only way he would warranty any of the equipment. So now that I have a year under my belt and I’m sure the warranty is up, I’m curious if I should install a ic40 or an ic60. My pool is 28000 gallons and from reading multiple posts, I know you want to double the size, but since I’m a little bit below double for a 60 I didn’t know if it would work properly as I run my VSP 24/7. Let me know which direction I need to go. Thanks!

More than double is great too. The systems are rated for 24/7 runtime to produce enough FC in the peak season. A larger system creates the same FC in less time, therefore being needed to run less, living longer.

To upsize from the ic40 to ic60 costs about 20% and nets 50% more life. The maths work in your favor big time.

If you want to stick with Pentair equipment, get the IC60. You can always reduce the SWG output to produce the FC needed whiile still running your VS pump 24/7 if you desire.

If you have Pentair automation, stick with the same brand for the SWG. This will allow better overall control thru your automation. If you don't have automation, possibly look at the Circupool RJ60+ SWG.

More than double is great too. The systems are rated for 24/7 runtime to produce enough FC in the peak season. A larger system creates the same FC in less time, therefore being needed to run less, living longer.

To upsize from the ic40 to ic60 costs about 20% and nets 50% more life. The maths work in your favor big time.

Ok thanks for letting me know your thoughts. I was thinking the same thing and just wanted a little reassurance. Thanks again

Reactions: Newdude
If you want to stick with Pentair equipment, get the IC60. You can always reduce the SWG output to produce the FC needed whiile still running your VS pump 24/7 if you desire.

If you have Pentair automation, stick with the same brand for the SWG. This will allow better overall control thru your automation. If you don't have automation, possibly look at the Circupool RJ60+ SWG.

Yes I currently have all Pentair equipment so would like to keep that all the same. That being said, I assume I need a power center with the salt cell. If I choose to purchase automation, do I still need the power center or does the automation take care of it? Also what type or automation? I really just need it for the salt cell and the heater. I currently have a smart Pentair switch for the light. Thanks for your reply!

Vince
You say the pool is 3 years old so how is your pool controlled as you ask about a power center etc. Please fill in your signature with all the equipment and pool details as you see mine below. Use the link in my signature to get started.

Vince
You say the pool is 3 years old so how is your pool controlled as you ask about a power center etc. Please fill in your signature with all the equipment and pool details as you see mine below. Use the link in my signature to get started.
Ive had our pool up and running for 6 months, it took almost 3 years to build. I don’t have anything other than a heater, pump, cartridge filter and a light. I turn everything on manually with the exception of the variable speed pump that runs 24/7. Looking at SWG it looks like you need some sort of power center/transformer to get power to the SWG. What I don’t know is if I need that in conjunction with an automated center as well or if the automation takes care of the power to the SWG as well. Thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.