SWG showing low salt reading

mikesig83

Jun 21, 2012
DFW, TX
Hello,

I measured my salt content and I’m at 3200 per my Taylor salt test kit. My Hayward was reading low so I thought I’d check the cell itself. Sure enough there was some calcium build up so did an acid bath to remove the buildup. That was Friday and yesterdays reading was normal but to my surprise my reading this am was even lower than before I cleaned the cell. It’s two years old and I’ve been meticulous about ph control, checking the cell every 3 months for calcium and and storing it away for the winters. Any idea what I could be missing? Thanks for the help.

This is the basic information we need to know in diagnosing a problem:
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings.
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings.
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings.
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

Thanks Allen. Are you looking for all of the readings as I press the diagnostic button? Or just the salt levels?

I'm realizing I never "recalibrated" the reading on the system once I cleaned it. Found a YouTube video on how to do that. I never knew about this process perhaps that was my problem.

All the readings.

The Aquarite salt reading cannot be “calibrated”.

Got it. I'll post that but here is the info from the Hayward website I was following:

How do I reset (or recalibrate) my salt reading?​

Be sure that the pump is running and the turbo cell is clean (buildup of calcium or debris in the cell can cause erroneous salt readings) and that the salt level in your pool water in within the recommended range of 2700 to 3400ppm. A salt level of 3200ppm is considered ideal. Slide the toggle switch on the Aqua Rite to the “Off” position and then to “Auto”. Press the Diagnostic button five times in a row and wait until the numbers stop changing. If the system settles on or near a number that is close to what you believe your pool’s salt level to be, slide the power switch quickly up to ‘Super Chlorinate’ and back down to ‘Auto’. This will lock that number in as the new average salt reading.

The problem is that the Aquarite does not have a salinity sensor. All you are doing is making the board happy with its inaccurate reading. It is not calibrating it against the actual pool water salinity.

Read more about this at - Hayward Aquarite SWG - Further Reading

Reactions: mikesig83
Here are my #s, etc. This was after "Recalibrating" based on the instructions from Hayward.
  • Report all readings when you..
    • Move the switch from auto to off and check all of the readings 3100 80 32.4 0.00 64P -0 AL-0 r 1.59 -15
    • Move the switch back to auto and recheck the readings. 3100 80 26.3 6.29 64P -3000 AL-0 r 1.59 -15
    • Move the switch to off for a minute and then back to auto and recheck the readings. 3000 80 26.3 6.34 64P -3000 AL-0 r 1.59 -15
  • What are the first seven characters of the cell 4e20246 and box 3101970 serial numbers?
  • What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it? 3200 Taylor k 1766 test kit

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That was Friday and yesterdays reading was normal but to my surprise my reading this am was even lower than before I cleaned the cell.
Likely to be a bad flow switch.

Does the unit power off when the pump is off?

If it runs with no flow, it can explode due to a buildup of chlorine gas and hydrogen gas.

The SWG needs to be powered off when the pump is off.

Most likely, the flow switch is sticking closed sometimes causing the cell to generate while the pump is off and this causes problems like low readings and it can explode, so leave it off until you get it fixed.

It has a 4 year warranty, so you can file a warranty claim for service or ask for a new flow switch from hayward.

You can take the cell to a testing station to be tested.

1684705563311.png

The SWG needs to be powered off when the pump is off.

Most likely, the flow switch is sticking closed sometimes causing the cell to generate while the pump is off and this causes problems like low readings and it can explode, so leave it off until you get it fixed.

It has a 4 year warranty, so you can file a warranty claim for service or ask for a new flow switch from hayward.

You can take the cell to a testing station to be tested.

View attachment 494601

Okay, so turn the switch from Auto to Off for when the pump turns off for the evening?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.