SWG shooting something back into pool

JD880

Jun 20, 2014
Wayne, NJ
Hello I have a circupool rj 60 I installed and used fine last year. This year it is shooting something, bubbles or a powder or something back through the return jets and a lot of it. Thought I had a suction leak but I've turned the SWG on and off a bunch of times and it only happens when it's on. Ive also had it running on MAX since yesterday afternoon and the chlorine level hasnt risen at all, no errors or anything on the control panel. Is it defective after only 1 season? Thanks!IMG_20230602_155521.jpg

Did you just open this pool since winter?
There are many cases reported that when a SWCG is used after opening, water cool, etc, that it may create a fine stream of hydrogen bubbles. This will subside as the water warms, chemistry normalizes.

Do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to check on FC consumption.

The hydrogen bubbles are normal byproduct of the chlorine generation and indicate it is producing -- in fact that's how I confirm at a glance if my SWCG is running. Different flow rates, lighting angles, eyeball position, pump flow rate, etc, can make them significantly more or less noticeable. If the bubbles stop/start when the only difference is the SWCG off/on, that's almost certainly what they are (a leak would be the the same on/off). A fun experiment is to take a lighter (the wind-proof torch style works best) when it's dark and watch the bubbles pop/explode.

I'd echo the suggestion to do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test (SWCG off) to verify that you don't have something eating FC, and then after that you can do an Overnight Chlorine Gain Test (with the SWCG on) to verify how much it produces at night. Bring us the before and after FC numbers in both tests and we can help compute/evaluate.

What's your CYA level? That makes a big difference in how much FC is consumed by the sun, and it's quite common to lose CYA over the winter. It could very well be the difference between "FC remains the same or increases with X hours of runtime" and "FC goes down even with X hours of runtime"

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.