Nov 29, 2022
TX
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have two operation questions about SWGs and just wanted to get some options.

1. I have a Pentair Intellichlore I60

2. The system always indicates a much lower salt concentration than my TF Test Kit drop test. This morning the SWG was reporting around 3200 ppm and the last drop test was around 3900. Is it better to keep the salt level around the test kit level for optimum range or bring it up based on the SWG. I was not sure if it better to operate on the higher or lower end of salt.

3. I prob have my SWG % set a little low and have just been making up the chlorine by adding liquid on the weekends. Do most people try to hit it right on with the SWG? I was worried about overshooting and then getting too much chlorine in the pool and this allows me to manually balance each week.

Is it better to keep the salt level around the test kit level for optimum range or bring it up based on the SWG.
The Taylor K-1766 salt test is more accurate. As long as the SWG doesn't throw an error for believing the salt is too low, just leave it. If the cell salt level continues to drop, be sure the cell is clean.

Do most people try to hit it right on with the SWG?
The SWG results can fluctuate a bit. You did right by adding a little liquid as needed. If you find the FC starting to drop more on a routine basis, you might need to clean it or do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test. If you pass the OCLT, then increase the CYA if it's not already at a solid 70-80 ppm.

Reactions: TX Pool
The salinity level of the SWCG can vary by quite a bit. If the SWCG is happy and creating chlorine, all is good. No need to adjust. If the SWCG starts to complain (low or high salt), then use the test kit to measure actual salinity.

Use the SWCG to create your chlorine. Running a bit high on FC is fine. Your pool is safe to swim in at FC levels up to SLAM level based on your CYA.

Raise your SWCG to create 4 ppm FC per day. Then test and see if the FC is going up or down. Adjust a bit either way. Once it stays close to the target level, leave it. You should be able to get to only adjusting the SWCG a few time in the spring / early summer and again in late summer / fall.

Reactions: TX Pool and Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.