SWG Newbie needs advice...

Stop Yellow most likely has Sodium Bromide as it's active ingredient, which will cause the problems you're describing. To resolve this, you need to turn off the Salt Chlorinator. Manually maintain your chlorine level above 5 ppm for the next 1-2 weeks continually. The Sodium Bromide is reacting with the chlorine generated and reactivating the bromides to generate bromine. The problem is that you have just enough of the bromide residual to react with the chlorine, continually. Sodium Bromide is a bromine salt, and doing what I instructed will eventually burn out the bromide. You'll know you're done when you're able to maintain the same residual 2-3 days without it dropping out on you.
Hope this helps.

Well, folks... here's an update:

I got my TF Test Kit.. though I had to wait a while to start shocking because a) it had been monsooning every day for a month and b) my wife gave birth! But I started the whole deal after getting home from the hospital because all the relatives coming to visit baby were going to want to swim, too.

I thoroughly cleaned my DE filter before starting on day one. I also draining a few inches of water. The previous few days of rain dumped so much water my pool was near to overflowing.

I used the pool calculator to find out how much liquid chlorine to use in my pool. As I wasn't sure if the yellow stuff clinging to my pool walls was pollen or mustard algae, I aimed for the mustard algae shock level. It took four applications of chlorine throughout the day to get a CC reading of ZERO by the end of the day.

Overnight I lost only 1 ppm of FC and maintained zero CC's. Day two, the water is crystal clear! And through testing every five to six hours I could see my FC's coming down slowly but no CC's are showing up.

Now it's day three. My FC is still about 20 ppm. Is there a way to get it down to 5 ppm without having to wait for it to naturally dissipate? Is it okay for the in-laws to go swimming in 20 ppm chlorinated water?

Also, back before this all, the pool store told me my CYA was 60 but the TF Test Kit tells me it's 45. I want to bring the CYA level up but should I wait until the FC is down to 5?

Thanks all, for your wonderful help. My pool never looked so good.

Glad everything is working out for you and congrats on the new baby! :whoot:

FLNewsGuy said:
Is it okay for the in-laws to go swimming in 20 ppm chlorinated water?
Absolutely. It is safe to swim up to the shock level. Just make sure your SWG is set to 0% so it will come down on its own.

FLNewsGuy said:
Also, back before this all, the pool store told me my CYA was 60 but the TF Test Kit tells me it's 45. I want to bring the CYA level up but should I wait until the FC is down to 5?
Believe it or not...that is not too bad (60 to 45). I tested a coworker's water this morning and the pool store said he was at 50. When I tested it, he was 100+. I would wait until it drops to your target then bump the CYA up to target levels for an SWG pool (60-80). There is no rush. Just make sure all your levels are balanced then you can start tinkering.

Well, I am just pleased at how it turned out. I'm attempting to include a picture on this post...

[attachment=0:3jqt1ods]ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371573809.563098.jpg[/attachment:3jqt1ods]

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.