SWG Lifespan & Alkalinity

tiride

Apr 30, 2015
Neptune Beach, FL
I've had my pool for 5 years and in that time I'm on my third pentier generator which is currently 1.5 years old. I was talking with the owner of a pool service company. and mentioned how many generators I've been through. He asked about my water chemistry. I keep alkalinity between 60-80. and have always followed the SWG Balance Guidelines He said that alkalinity 60-80 was too low and I was probably burning my SWG cells and needed to keep alkalinity higher, around 100. I've not heard of burning up cells faster due to low alkalinity and wondering if there is any validity to this.

First I have heard of that - and I would suspect we would have heard a lot about that as all of us on the forum with SWCG's also maintain our TA in that range for the most part.

More important is CSI. Keeping the CSI between 0 and -0.3 with a SWCG keeps it from forming scale. Also is sizing the SWCG correctly for your pool. I see in the past you had an IC20. What size is your pool? Where is Neptune Beach?

Reactions: GreenPool2019
T,

Just because the guy owns a Pool Service company does not mean he knows anything about how a SWCG works.. :)

Did you really "burn through" your other two cells?? Why did they get replaced? 75% of all reported cell failures are not really cell problems at all, but really installation or owner problems.

Tell us more..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: GreenPool2019
Total alkalinity is not relevant to the life of the cell other than if it's too high and causing scale.

As long as the pH is in the 7s and the CSI is good, the TA is fine.

Total runtime, scale and acid washing are the key killers of cells.

What is the total that you run the cell?

Do you get scale or acid wash the cell frequently?

Have you filed warranty claims for defective cells?

Based on your previous posts, I suspect that you have an installation error.

Does the cell turn off when the pump is off?

Is the power supply wired for the correct voltage?

Do you have a picture of the system?

Last edited:
First I have heard of that - and I would suspect we would have heard a lot about that as all of us on the forum with SWCG's also maintain our TA in that range for the most part.

More important is CSI. Keeping the CSI between 0 and -0.3 with a SWCG keeps it from forming scale. Also is sizing the SWCG correctly for your pool. I see in the past you had an IC20. What size is your pool? Where is Neptune Beach?

I have a 10,000 gallon inground plaster pool. I originally had an IC20 but have since moved up to an IC40 and keep it running at 20% most of the time.

Total alkalinity is not relevant to the life of the cell other than if it's too high and causing scale.

As long as the pH is in the 7s and the CSI is good, the TA is fine.

Total runtime, scale and acid washing are the key killers of cells.

What is the total that you run the cell?

Do you get scale or acid wash the cell frequently?

Have you filed warranty claims for defective cells?

Based on your previous posts, I suspect that you have an installation error.

Does the cell turn off when the pump is off?

Is the power supply wired for the correct voltage?

I run the pump 1o hours a day in the summer. We are in the 90's with several days in the 100's already recorded this summer. I keep the IC40 output at 20%. My SWCG doesn't turn off when the pump turns off. I rarely clean my cells, maybe once a year, I never see any scale build up on the blades. PH stays around 7.6-7.8 most of the time.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The No Flow light is supposed to come on when there's no flow. However, the power should go off when the pump is turned off.

What pump do you have?

Have the cells been covered under warranty?

Turn the cell off and in the meantime until this is all worked out use liquid chlorine to keep your pool from turning green.

Use PoolMath (either the App or the web version at the bottom of the page) to help guide you in how much liquid chlorine (or plain household bleach*) to use.

You'll have to add it every day or two in the interim.

*plain unscented, unthickened, non-Cloromax technology type bleach....usually store brand..Or better yet the 10% liquid chlorine found in the pool section at Walmart.

Maddie :flower:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.