SWG Install, Green water (not Clorox salt :)

Ayron

May 3, 2024
AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
So ya… installed a swg today after a year of doing liquid bleach, mainly because we are going on a lot of trips this summer and I want the pool to stay sanitized without me present. Anyway, I got 7 bags of Morton salt this morning at ace before installing the swg and added them to my existing 1000ppm salt content pool of about 20k gals. That got the salt to about 2500, so while at Home Depot for a pvc fitting I grabbed a few more bags of salt but it was the diamond crystal brand. Added a few more bags and finished the install, fired up the system and water was noticeably green very quickly. PH / FC / CYA were fine before I started but now no FC was showing up on the tf color tube. So I added a gallon of 10% and set the swg to turbo along with the sand filter. FC got to 7 about 30 mins later so I turn off the swg, pool looks a bit less green but still not the normal sharp blue. Having kids over tomorrow so planning to use as is, hoping overnight filtering will help. After reading all the old Clorox salt posts it seems like a the diamond crystal brand is in the same category ( iron contaminated) and I should stick with Morton from ace. Also interesting that the swg says 3500ppm (that’s the target per manual) salt but the Taylor test says 4k which is the upper limit. I’ll add fresh water tomorrow. Only other noteworthy thing is that the temp is up in the high 80s from solar heater rocking it (thanks Ken @ hot sun !).

Am I safe to use it so long as the Fc/ph/cya are good? I covered it with the solar cover tonight is that ok or will it matter?

Thanks!

Well maybe non are really safe. Perhaps I can test new salt bags by just treating a bucket of pool water to 4k ppm salt and monitoring the water color.

Well maybe non are really safe. Perhaps I can test new salt bags by just treating a bucket of pool water to 4k ppm salt and monitoring the water color.
If you had zero chlorine after adding it may have been low to start. You can swim while doing a SLAM.

Reactions: Ayron and HermanTX
FC got to 7 about 30 mins later so I turn off the swg, pool looks a bit less green but still not the normal sharp blue. Having kids over tomorrow so planning to use as is, hoping overnight filtering will help
Not sure why the SWCG was turned off. Reducing it from Turbo setting to normal output would be OK. With kids coming to swim, I would want to be on the high side of the target range for a given CYA. Also add LC after the kids leave would be my process.
Also have the SWCG running full time all day with kids swimming.

I have used diamond crystal salt with no issue. I recently found a supply for AquaSalt which is supposed to be really good salt.

Reactions: Ayron
1. Make sure SWG is off when adding salt.
2.SWG is designed only to maintain chlorine level. Use liquid chlorine to get your pool balanced before turning on the SWG.