SWG in a metal pool?

May 24, 2015
Sydney, australia
Hello,

We've been deciding on a SWG only to be advised that it's a bad idea in our pool which is vinyl lined but in a metal frame due to corrosion. He advised a chlorine dispenser instead (the Hurlcon Rola Chem). I'm not overly keen due to the cost and constantly hefting chlorine down to the end of our garden. It's a pain with the way our garden and deck has been built. But if that's our best option then okay.

So I rang the pool manufacturer. She said SWG is okay but they recommend ionisers and install them with 80% of their pools. I know people here aren't keen on them so I'm surprised that it's their default offering.

Why does everyone tell me different things?? I just need some kind of system to get the chlorine in the pool other than me. I have two young kids and I can't maintain it - it's a nice shade of green at the moment. Please help!

Thanks,
Keelie

Hi Wheelie. Its hard to get the straight of this one, IMHO. A while back, I read an article where pool contractors changing liners on salt water pools, eg 10 years later, reported increased corrosion of steel walls. That of course means that the salt water itself has had to communicate with the walls via leaks.(I tried hard to find the article for you but couldn't. Think it was in Aqua magazine.)

Stainless steel can and will over time (eg 25 years) corrode regardless, and a regular chlorine pool also over time builds up almost as much salt as is kept in a salt pool. The possible difference is the electrolysis process, the small electrical current that generates the chlorine from the salt. Proper bonding, and some believe zinc or magnesium "sacrificial anodes" help reduce corrosion, but generally aren't though to be sufficiently adequate to protect a large area such as walls.

The mfg is correct in that stainless steel is meant to resist corrosion. Pool water also should generally should not get behind the liner. A layer of foam is usually added to the steel walls before the liner is placed.

In a retrofit case like yours, the "worry" is what-if you have pinhole leaks, etc. etc. No one will want to be responsible if your walls corrode badly.

But here's what normally happens with corrosion...during a liner change, corrosion can be sanded out and rust inhibitor is applied. That's fairly routine and doesn't necessarily compromise the integrity of the walls.

But this is why you're getting different answers to the question.

I have a retrofit swg and I love it. But I have polycarbonate walls. I have had corrosion on a 15 years old steel ladder. My solution was to throw it out and upgrade to a coated ladder meant for swg use.

I don't mind these kind of compromises as all, because I absolutely love SWG. In your case, consider the age of the pool, what you know about its condition, and whether or not you're concerned about a possible risk of mildly accelerated corrosion.

Wow, thanks Swamp Woman. What a comprehensive reply.

Our pool liner is pretty old. We had about 12 holes patched up last year and we're trying to make it last as long as possible before we invest in a new one. So the risk of pinhole leaks is a strong possibility for us. I don;t know how old the pool is. At least 20 years I reckon. i'll ask the neighbour if she knows how long it's been here.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.