Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Hi all,
Have what seems to be a strange issue. 3rd startup year with salt pool and have the ic60 intellichlor. This year everything appeared normal, balanced water, powered up ic60, lights on and looks like it’s running normally. First thing I noticed it that the system wasn’t using any acid. But then the chlorine levels still weren’t coming up and we started getting some algae I knew there was definitely an issue. Since the ic60 lights were functioning normally, I was thinking the chlorinator had failed early and needed to be replaced. Now I received a new ic60 and it’s behaving the same way. Powers up, lights all greeen, indicating it’s chlorinating. Been on for 4 days and chlorine is way down and hasn’t called for any acid.

Does anyone have experience with the power supply failing such that all the lights would still indicate that everything is ok but the cell not produce anything. I just tested the DC voltage and it was 27 without the ic60 connected.

Any help appreciated. Thanks!

tj,

I have yet to see an IntelliChlor that had a working "Cell" light, that was not making chlorine.

Here is a quick test.. Set the output to 50%.. Watch the Cell light... It should be on for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minutes. This cycle will just keep repeating.

If the Cell light is working correctly, then the SWCG should be making chlorine.

A SWCG will never be able to make more chlorine than your algae can consume.

You need to get rid of any algae before the cell will work by performing a SLAM..

Thanks,

Jim R.

tj,

I have yet to see an IntelliChlor that had a working "Cell" light, that was not making chlorine.

Here is a quick test.. Set the output to 50%.. Watch the Cell light... It should be on for 2.5 minutes and then off for 2.5 minutes. This cycle will just keep repeating.

If the Cell light is working correctly, then the SWCG should be making chlorine.

A SWCG will never be able to make more chlorine than your algae can consume.

You need to get rid of any algae before the cell will work by performing a SLAM..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks for the reply. That’s an interesting comment about the algae consuming the chlorine this making it appear like the swcg isn’t working. Wouldnt the ph still be coming up if the swcg is working properly? Or does algae itself also lower the ph?

lights on and looks like it’s running normally
Confirm the following lights are illuminated:

SALT LEVEL -- GOOD (steady green)

CELL (periodically green per sanitizer output commanded)

FLOW (green)

SANITIZER OUTPUT (set as commanded)

All other lights should be off. Do you get small bubbles from the returns when the CELL light is illuminated? That would be an indication your cell is generating chlorine.

My issues persist even with this new generator. I have shocked the pool twice. Both times the chlorine comes up and generator looks like it’s working properly but then the chlorine levels drop back down to nothing. It hasn’t helped that I have been out of town for days at a time.

I have to imagine that there is something wrong with the power supply to the generator. Not sure what else to do. When the generator was working in past years I used maybe a half gallon or so of acid solution per day. System has used zero in over a week.

If it was working the ph has to come up due to the NaOH generation.

I either have two bad generators or this power supply isn’t giving enough DC.

1. Perform an OCLT. There may be organics consuming your FC.

2. Post complete chemistry results from a proper test kit (TF or K-2006C). How are you testing?

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt
Temp

3. Confirm the light status (post 8).

4. Fill out your signature.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.