Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Core-55
Hi All,

I have been reading here for quite a while and with hindsight being 20/20, last year I eliminated my “perma-salt” system that the pool store sold me, in favor of LC (and tabs only as necessary). I knew literally nothing about swimming pools at that time, but boy have I learned a lot about water chemistry since then.

All that said, I am now ready (I think) to take the next step and install an SWG.

I have read so many different threads and articles that I’m on information overload and cannot decide on what I should actually go with. I don’t want anything fully automated if possible, as I currently use a smart plug to run my pump intermittently and would like to be able to use the same setup for the SWG to run when the pump is operating. My pump/filter are fully exposed to the elements and as a result, so will be any SWG I go for.

My gut tells me the RJ-60 is what I need.

Is there anything else I need to consider before pulling the trigger?

Thanks in advance!

Is there anything else I need to consider before pulling the trigger?
The RJ-60 is a beast and will serve you well.
If you go vertical, make sure the flow switch has upflow.

The control panel doesn't do so well in the elements. Pick a covered spot for it if available, or build a simple one.

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like you've got it all figured out. The RJ series will work with 120 volt and 240 volt applications. There's very little amp draw so it will operate off of just about any type of smart switch you want to use.

It looks like you've already figured out you need select a unit that's rated for at least twice your pool's volume.

Stick around and do your research. They're probably a few threads underneath this post that will help you out. Let us know if you need some guidance.

The RJ-60 is a beast and will serve you well.
If you go vertical, make sure the flow switch has upflow.

The control panel doesn't do so well in the elements. Pick a covered spot for it if available, or build a simple one.
Thanks for the confirmation!

I think I can mount the control on the underside of the top rail on my pool, thought ought to eliminate 90% of direct sunlight, rain and hail.

^^^This. Love mine. I would make sure that it only has power when the pump runs. I would shelter it, if at all possible.
I plan to use a smart plug with my Apple HomeKit setup to have some “simple” on/off timer automation.

Thanks for the reassurance!

Welcome to TFP!

It sounds like you've got it all figured out. The RJ series will work with 120 volt and 240 volt applications. There's very little amp draw so it will operate off of just about any type of smart switch you want to use.

It looks like you've already figured out you need select a unit that's rated for at least twice your pool's volume.

Stick around and do your research. They're probably a few threads underneath this post that will help you out. Let us know if you need some guidance.
Thanks for the confirmation and the warm welcome. This place is an amazing resource to anyone willing to put in some light reading and a little effort.

I’ve been a paid subscriber to the pool math app since last year because of how much I believe in this place.

• Love
Reactions: Newdude
I plan to use a smart plug with my Apple HomeKit setup to have some “simple” on/off timer automation.
Is your pump on the same smart plug? You don't want the SWCG to run if the pump is not running...

I think I can mount the control on the underside of the top rail on my pool, thought ought to eliminate 90% of direct sunlight, rain and hail.
What about splashout ? If you have kids that may need more frequent than rain. :ROFLMAO:

Is your pump on the same smart plug? You don't want the SWCG to run if the pump is not running...

Yes, they will be on the same smart plug. It seemed like common sense to me before, and 100% is the only way I would consider going after reading some folks horror stories!

Thanks for taking the time to check and make sure!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about splashout ? If you have kids that may need more frequent than rain. :ROFLMAO:
Excellent thought and question. Difficult to explain without pics, but not where I can post any right now, so bear with me.

Keeping in mind this is an AGP… Where the vertical posts meet the top rail, there is ~6-7” overhang where I can mount the control on the side of the vertical post high enough to shield from the elements. If splash out seems like a concern, I will also attach a small hinged shield to the top rail to give extra protection.

Does that seem sufficient? Again, indoors is not an option for me.

Thanks!

I will also attach a small hinged shield to the top rail to give extra protection.
Awsome. It needs a mini roof of sorts if it's getting splashed so close to the pool. It might also be dry as a bone where you want to put it. Mount it up and see how it goes. :)

Thanks for the confirmation!

It would be best to have it AT LEAST five (5) feet away from the edge of the pool. It may even be code.

Awsome. It needs a mini roof of sorts if it's getting splashed so close to the pool. It might also be dry as a bone where you want to put it. Mount it up and see how it goes. :)
So, after much debate (in my head) and back & forth, reading dozens of reviews, forums, etc., I changed it up at the last minute and ordered the CORE-55. Still more than double my pool volume.

It has tons of positive reviews, and the simplicity of install is a major deciding factor. They claim it has ip66 weather proofing, and that they developed it for use in Texas with intense sunlight and bad weather. With an 8 year warranty, hopefully I don’t regret my choice. 🤞

Things like this got me thinking, and I wound up changing to the CORE-55 at the last minute.
I changed from PermaSalt to Circupool SWG a couple of years ago and love it. I assume you also got the pool from Family Leisure. If so, keep an eye on the bolts on the outside of the pool that attach the stainless steel panel (if you have one) to the walls. My bolts have begun to rust near the bottom from the salt water from the skimmer and general splashing. So while Family Leisure sold and installed the pool with the stainless steel panel, the nuts and bolts are not. The only thing I can do other than try to minimize the splashing is drain the pool, lift the liner, and replace with real stainless steel bolts which I'm hoping can wait until the liner needs replacing. Good luck!

Reactions: cdwells
You guessed it right all the way. Man, what a great observation. I’ll definitely keep an eye out for that. I think I may clean them up and coat them now with something to minimize contact, maybe that rhino liner in a can type stuff. I may also consider a corrosion inhibitor film like used on car batteries. Thanks for the tip!

My bolts have begun to rust near the bottom from the salt water from the skimmer and general splashing
Your bolts rusted from being poor quality while exposed to the elements. Every bolt on my liquid chlorine above ground pool was rusted to the point they needed to be cut off.

The ones protected under the top rail were just as bad as the ones that got splashed.

Reactions: cdwells
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.