SWG confusion

Is there a way to stop the high TA warning in the app? Even when I change my target it still shows because it's out of range. Does the app not take in to account my vinyl pool?

Thanks again! I still see the red circle no matter what I choose. I guess I'll just live with it and maybe one day the app will get smarter. ;)

FC reading dropped since yesterday. Yesterday was full use and full sun and only second day without the solar cover. Should I put some bleach in? The app is suggesting 3 cups to get to my target of 6, but I'm not sure if I just need to run the SWCG more?

So before you have a 'heavy use' day, add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine. Then you will be able to leave the SWCG setttings alone.

For now, add the liquid chlorine to raise your FC. Then see if the SWCG will hold that. If your 'heavy use' days are frequent, then increase the output of the SWCG to cover that

Reactions: Michelle22
I can't increase the output, just have it run longer (Intex). Since I've never added chlorine while using the SWCG how do I know what 5 ppm is in quantity?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You add acid as necessary to keep the pH in the 7's. Very few pools achieve a 'stable' pH. Those have a source of fill water that is near perfection. Your fill water is high in TA.

So I will just have to deal with MA all the time. Got it, thanks.
yup.. that is life with an SWG. I found I could get away with adjusting my pH weekly. others have to tweak it more often. Even in my pool it depends on the levels of everything else. This year my pH seems more stable, I think that was the by product of adding some Borax when I needed to adjust my pH after an AA treatment this spring. So just because it is this way this year, it maybe different next year.

yup.. that is life with an SWG. I found I could get away with adjusting my pH weekly. others have to tweak it more often. Even in my pool it depends on the levels of everything else. This year my pH seems more stable, I think that was the by product of adding some Borax when I needed to adjust my pH after an AA treatment this spring. So just because it is this way this year, it maybe different next year.
Once a week? That would be nice. How high do you let it get and what do you lower to in that time frame?

I add acid when pH is 8. But only enough to get it to 7.6 My SWG pool settles in at 7.8 for about a week or so before I need to add more acid. I used to try to knock it back to the lower 7s but it was just a waste of acid since it quickly rose and stabilized at 7.8
Sounds reasonable. Maybe I'll try shooting for 7.6, too, since I won't try to lower my TA anymore. Thanks.

Once a week? That would be nice. How high do you let it get and what do you lower to in that time frame?
It varies from pool season to pool season. Some seasons the acid is buffered better than others. When it hits 8-ish I bring it back down. But you can play yo-yo with it trying to chase a pH set point that is not stable and it will just shoot up. Some people find their pool stabilizes at 7.8 and they just adjust things to there. This year I find my pool will sit at 7.5 with and Alk of about 90. But this year I did an Ascorbic Acid treatment for iron and that works best if the pH is low and the FC =0... afterward I raised the pH backup with Borax and now I have a wonderfully stable pH level. Some people do that on purpose. See here:
After 20 years with my pool I still use it one big chemistry set.

⚗️🧪🚽💈:testkit:
Mooohooohooohaaahaaa!
gene wilder frankenstein GIF by foxhorror

I can't figure out why I have to add so much bleach/chlorine to my pool. Planning to clean my SWCG this weekend, but any other thoughts?

I can't figure out why I have to add so much bleach/chlorine to my pool
As the UV demand ramps up during the season you need to add runtime to the SWG to keep up with it. Regardless of liquid or SWG, we all need much more added now than we did in the early spring.

Many of the smaller systems need 100% runtime to produce enough FC and plenty more that need to be supplemented with liquid in peak demand times.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.