SWG Cell - Winter Procedures & closing

swimspaguyy11

Bronze Supporter
Nov 15, 2021
NJ
With the help of this forum I converted my pool to salt this year (it's also my first year with the pool in general), the circupool rj60. I just had a company close my pool for the season, they blew out the lines and the SWG cell is empty but I am wondering if I should go through the trouble to remove it and store it inside or perhaps cover it, or just leave it in place?

The manual just says "follow closing procedures for your area" and specifically says you can leave the control module out, but doesnt say anything about the cell.

I also installed a new Hayward variable speed pump and omni hub and replaced the gas heater with a heat pump. The closing company just left all the equipment in place and said it was up to me if I removed anything. I know the previous owner just left everything out in the elements all winter. Removing the omni hub would be too much work because of all the wiring and i cant remove the heat pump but I could cover the top of the heat pump like some people do with AC units ( but have also heard you shouldnt do that).

Also, my closing company didnt drain down the water at all, they just left it at normal operating height. I read the closing guide on the forum and it says you should rain down to the returns? They also didnt use any anti-freeze as the guide suggests. They just dumped 2 gallons of shock, blew out all the lines and put the ratcheting mesh cover on and left.

Thanks for any advice.

Your closing sounds fine. My equipment has stayed outside every winter in NJ for 30 years.

You do not drain a liner pool down much.

You will need to check the pool water level during the winter and pump water out if we get a very wet winter.

Your closing sounds fine. My equipment has stayed outside every winter in NJ for 30 years.

You do not drain a liner pool down much.

You will need to check the pool water level during the winter and pump water out if we get a very wet winter.

Thanks Allen, I would suspect with all the rain we just got that I am already at the top if not over the skimmers. At what point do I start pumping, when its about to crest the top?

Thanks for the advice, I will leave all my equipment out including the SWG cell, the only thing I was thinking was maybe I should cover the top of the heat pump so it doesnt get filled up with leaves, once they start falling its going to end up full of leaves because its under a lot of trees.

Those covers are attractive for rodents to build their nests in. They can do a lot of damage to the HP while leaves are easy to clean out.

I like to pump down the pool water level when the weather is nice. No reason to wait until it is about to overflow and then need to do it in a cold rain.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.