SWG BEFORE the solar panels?

dswwpb

Jun 22, 2017
West Palm Beach, FL
Looking at going to salt but would need to install the generator before the solar panels in order to avoid re-piping most/all of the return piping. I know all the SWG people say to install after a heater but I assume that's because gas heaters and heat pumps all have metal heat exchangers in them. Fafco told me that the high chlorine levels coming out of the SWG won't hurt their panels. The water from the SWG would only be going through the panels when the solar controller is calling for heat, otherwise it would go directly into the pool. What's your opinion?

The panels might end up getting a bunch of hydrogen gas trapped at the top of the panels.

Hydrogen gas can explode if there is also chlorine gas trapped where the two gasses can mix.

Most chlorine gas will be dissolved, so the risk is small.

Most installation manuals specify that the preferred cell placement is after all other equipment.

The preferred installation is after (downstream) all the pool equipment (filter, heater, solar, etc.)

The panels might end up getting a bunch of hydrogen gas trapped at the top of the panels.

Hydrogen gas can explode if there is also chlorine gas trapped where the two gasses can mix.

Most chlorine gas will be dissolved, so the risk is small.

Most installation manuals specify that the preferred cell placement is after all other equipment.
Hydrogen gas was one of my concerns, especially here in South Florida. Those panels get REALLY hot in the summer sun

Hydrogen gas needs an oxidizer to burn. If the chlorine gas is mostly dissolved in the water, I suspect that the risk will be low.

I think that I would prefer to have the cell after everything else to reduce the risk of an incident.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You are going to re pipe more than you plan on when installing. It never fails. Better to just think it thru and use the opportunity to make the pad plumbing better overall. I DIY'd my solar and had a beautiful pad layout and with some planning it's still perfectly laid out

4 months of mine running with the SWG before the panels. No issues here and am not worried there will be.
The only scenario I would re-pipe if I was to install a heat pump. SWG has to be after the heat pump.
Still no problems? I am thinking of doing the same.

I would imagine oxygen gas is quite diluted compared to the volume of water...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.