SWG and variable speed pump

Jun 24, 2007
Eastern NC
I guess I need to update my other thread on my pool leak.

Turns out the liner is bad. All the plumbing has been pressure tested and holds pressure. The liner is 8yrs old, which isn't old I know. Just that we can't keep putting water into the pool off our well. For one it is high iron and if we use the house water then it puts a load on our water softener. At a rate of going down 4" a week it is just way too much.

We are just going to put a whole new liner in and hope with great care we can get 10yrs out of it with no issues.

My question is with a variable speed pump, it is a Hayward Super Pump VS and the SWG. I noticed what when the pump is set to go to a lower flow rate it isn't enough to keep the SWG on.

I take it that the best thing to do is put the SWG on a timer and have it come on when the pump is running at a higher flow rate? Or would it be better to just put them both on the timer?

What I have found out searching for the liner to get replaced, at least here in eastern NC. It is that a lot of businesses no longer mess with liners and only deal with fiberglass pools. Considering the groundwater is high in this area the FG pool sounds like the way to go but we can't afford the $40k it will cost to change it over.

The pool is a 20'x40' with an 8' deep end. No diving board and plastic steps on the side and two skimmers and a light. Also, it is a sand filter. By my calculations, this is about a 31,000-gallon pool.

Thanks

Dad,

I can't think of any reason that I would run my pump unless it was fast enough to produce chlorine. :scratch:

What is it that you are trying to do when the flow is too low to turn on the cell?

What speed do you need to run to turn the cell on? What speed are your running when the cell is not working?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

This pump is all new to me. It is my understanding that the VSP is supposed to conserve energy by running at lower speeds at certain times of the day. Again, I'm use to a single-speed pump on a timer that I run basically 8 hours out of the day and off 16.

If the pump runs at 1,500 rpm it isn't enough to turn on the cell. But when it runs at 2,500 rpm then all is well.

I was just going to install a timer on both so that they come on at the same time, run at 2,500 rpm for 8hrs and then just shut off. To me, it would save the same amount if not more on energy doing it that way then having the pump run all the time.

I just asked here in case I'm not understanding something.

Thanks,
Nick

Nick,

I suspect that you will not have to increase your speed much to make the cell work. I would set the pump to 1600 RPM and see if it works, if not try 1700 etc...

Sounds to me like 1500 and 2500 are just default speeds when the pump is shipped.. You should be able to set your speeds to whatever works best for you.

My point is.. if you are going to run your pump for 8 hours, you may as well be generating chlorine for 8 hours. You can then set the cell's output percentage to a low value.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Jim,

I understand that. My question is there is no need to run the pump at a higher speed to generate chlorine for 24hrs. Isn't the whole point of a VSpump to save energy. So to run it for the needed 8 hours to turn over the pool and produce chlorine, then run at a slower speed to conserve energy. But the SWG isn't supposed to be on if it can't produce chlorine. Hence my question about putting it on a timer or just put both on a timer. Which would be the preffered setup? I hope I didn't confuse you.

Thanks,

Nick

Nick,

The idea that you have to "turnover" your pool water X times a day, is just not true.. I still can't think of any reason to run the pump if you are not making chlorine. :scratch:

That said, if you want to run the pump at a speed that does not turn on the cell, then adding a timer will work just fine..

As a general rule, the cell is the limiting factor.. So, if you run a cell long enough to generate the amount of chlorine you need, you will have already run it long enough to skim and circulate all the water you need to circulate.

I personally like making a little chlorine over a long period of time vs. making a lot of chlorine all at once.. I have a simple pool, so I run 24/7 at about 1200 RPM, which costs me less than $20 bucks a month.. There is not much electrical costs left to save..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.