SWG and no chlorine or something else.

I passed the OCLT last night!!! Only lost 1ppm from 900pm to 700am. and .5cc. The water looks good. That's 8 straight days of shocking and I don't know how many gallons of bleach.

For the last two days, I've kept the shock level at 40ppm and in one case yesterday it jumped to 50!!

Question though....yesterday I turned on the SWG. It still didn't reach 100% chlorine production and that could be that the salt level is low. (estimated to be about 3500 from the Aqua check stips) BUT while it was running, the water got very cloudy...to the point where I couldn't see the bottom in the deep end. I only let it run for about 5 min due to that. I turned it off and the water cleared up quickly. Could that be because of the high chlorine levels?? haven't seen that before. Don't know what to make of it.

Thanks for everyone's help!! I'm glad I've found this board.

Congrats!

When you say the water gets cloudy, is that throughout the pool or just around the returns?
Some have found that they get some cloudiness from very small hydrogen bubbles in the water, usually at lower pump speeds. Another possibility is calcium scaling that is coming off the cell,though it appears you CH is not really high (190?).

These are from this evening.

Fc 27. (still coming down from 50). Passed oclt 2 nights now. No sun today.
Cc .5
Ph 7.5
Ta 130. (swg manual says 110 to 180)
Ch. 270. (Pool store said to raise last month. 200 to 400. ).
Cya 70
Salt 3100 ( manual says 3000 to 4500). Pool seems salty.
My original numbers were from the pool store before I started testing. Now I have the tf100. I will not use pool stores again. I never used the original test kit because the store said it was something different than what it really is. That and they have been underestimating gallons for the pool.

There is still the clouding issue when we turn on the swg. I plan to keep at it with the chlorox for now.

KRommel1015 said:
There is still the clouding issue when we turn on the swg. I plan to keep at it with the chlorox for now.
Seems like you clouding has nothing to do with organics...so when you say keep on the the chlorox do you mean you are going to continue to let your FC level down to normal? I would, especially since you have consistently been passing the OCLT. I still wonder if you swg caused cloudiness is really small microbubbles. Does it clear up in less than a couple minutes after you turn it off?

I will keep using chlorox to chlorinate for now and leave the swg off.

I also want someone to come and give the equipment a good once-over. I had an infant last summer and basically ignored the pool.

The cloudiness from the swg dissipates within 5 to 10 minutes. I could lose a small child in the "fog" though. It's bad. What would be the fix if small bubbles?

It's not a lot you figure that 3/4" in a 4' pool is only 1% so if you normally run 5 ppm it's only going to lower it by 1/10th of a ppm. Unless it carries some organics in with it then it might be a little more but not much.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bama Rambler said:
Is there any way you can take a picture of the cloudiness and post it?

This is the pool before I turn on the SWG. The FC was 8 and cc .5 at the time. PH 7.5 Other numbers the same as the test results on 8/3.

before.jpg

This is about 2 to 3 minutes after the SWG has been on.
after1.jpg

It just gets worse from there........
after2.jpg

after4.jpg

after3.jpg

When I turn off the SWG, the pool clears fairly quickly.

I have kept the pool chlorinated with 6% bleach. It has been holding overnight nicely. No one wants
to swim with the water looking the way it does with the SWG on so I figured if the bleach is working then
we'll just stick with it. And like I explained before, this has not happened in the past.

Any thoughts??

And there's nothing on the bottom once the clouding clears??

Is your swcg cell clean?

That is puzzling. Given your numbers it shouldn't be calcium clouding but it looks like it. I'd work on lowering the TA to about 80 and see if that helps. And maybe clean the cell good to see if it's something clinging to the cell.

Does it stop clouding if you let it run a while?

I let it run for 30 min and by the end, you couldn't see the bottomw of the pool....no visibility at all.

The bottom is fine when you turn it off.

A week before I started the shock process (july 15) we cleaned the cell in the acid soak as the manual states. We can try again though.

So how do I lover TA? We've always had it between 100 and 140 since the beginning.

Good luck with this one Kristyn. I am really curious to see why this one turns out to be. You guys really did a good job hanging in there and getting in through the shock process, you deserve a break on this problem.

I know it was a lot of work but the pool really looks GREAT. At least when the SWG is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.