SWG and Iron Plumbing

GREGGSS1

Jun 1, 2020
Rahway NJ
I am considering converting to salt water with a SWG system. The pool is 60,000 gal. painted concrete built in the 50s. There is a coated aluminum main drain with Iron plumbing running up to the skimmer. all the other iron plumbing has been replaced with PVC. Will this iron plumbing be at an increased risk of failure due to corrosion created by the SWG?

Welcome to TFP.

How do you chlorinate your pool now?

Do you know what the current salt level in your pool is compared to what a SWG will require?

I am currently using liquid chlorine. The 85 year old owner of my local pool shop keeps telling me i need a SWG. currently no salt

Liquid chlorine contains salt. Test the salt level of your pool and you may find it 1000 ppm or higher.

You sure your pool is 60,000 gallons? That is going to take two 60K SWG cells.

my biggest concern is electrolysis eating away the plumbing. pool guy tells me to use Sacrificial anodes in the main drain/ skimmers
any thoughts on this risk? or is it a non issue ?

It is hard to say. Zinc anodes may help and they can't hurt.

There is no need for a main drain. If it fails you can plug it and run your pool without it. Many folks have removed their main drains.

Only 2, I added the 2nd one about 5 yeas ago. was a DIY project that worked out really well. 12'' thick concrete beam. Was a fun cut with a masonary chainsaw. The original was one skimmer. 1 main drain and 1 return, I also added a second return. Circulation has increased tremendously

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
With 2 skimmers your main drain is optional.

GIve it a try. Depending on how your main drain is plumbed you may not get much flow from it when both skimmers are running.

Keep in mind that a zinc anode in your skimmer basket is pretty worthless.

The anode should be in contact with the water as well your bonding grid if you’re trying to avoid galvanic corrosion. The anodes I use are attached to my metal pool ladder below the water line and of course, the ladder is connected to the bonding grid.

I consider it pretty cheap insurance.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.