SWG and Chlorine depletion

Dear members,

I have just encountered the following issue.

I have a new SWG generator (Pentair Intellichlor 40). 15 days ago all my water chemistry levels were (almost) perfect, i.e. 3,600 ppm salt... but CYA was on the low end around 50 ppm :(. I did not find the time to slowly bring it up to 70, and then there several straight days of heavy rains, in excess of 230 mm, then a week of sunny days (not a single drop of rain). I noticed a dramatic drop in Cl levels, then tested for CYA and realized that it went down as low as 35, this is when I got hit in the face with the fact that the SWG was not keeping it up.

Yesterday I tested salt levels (twice) and it is currently 1,600 ppm !!!... I then added enough CYA to bring it back up to 70, and today added 2 gallons of 5.25% bleach (pool is 11,800 gal). I shut off the SWG just as a precaution in order to stabilize, first the CYA and Chlorine via external source like bleach.

My question is, when I started up the SWG I added 330 pounds of salt to my pool, and the SWG green light was fine... tested one week later and it was 3,600 ppm as mentioned above. Now, since I depleted the Cl from the NaCl in the pool (for not having proper CYA levels), will I need to add more salt (i.e. 200 lbs as per PoolMath) to stabilize chlorine production...??? :confused:, or by adding bleach and starting up the SWG again, will effectively (say) bring back NaCl levels to my original 3,600 due to "rebonding" of existing Na in the water and externally added Cl... maybe I will need to add some lbs of salt at the end of the day to compensate for the brutal dilution.. but for the sake of conversation let's say no dilution ever occurred and Cl just broke down due to heavy sun and very low CYA.

Many thanks in advance for your help and advise.

Luis,

The SWCG does not use salt up... In "theory" it never goes away, but in real life, some gets washed away if the pool overflows, or people splash it on the deck, and small leaks might let some escape. In general, I'd say most Saltwater pool owners have to add two or three bags of salt a year.

Most pools use about 2 to 4 ppm of FC (chlorine) each day.. So if your CYA is low, it will allow the sun to consume your FC very quickly.

Your cell will not work if the salt level is below 2600.. so you will need to add enough salt to get your level back above 2800...

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

All the SWG does is break ionic bonds, they recombine on their own.

You will not "use up" the salt, nor will you ever create salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.