Troy NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-15
Our pool builder installed a Pentair Intellichlor IC15 for our unground 14,000 gallon pool built in 2017. I realize it's small given the recommendations at TFP, but nevertheless, it lasted over 6 years. We want to upgrade to the IC20 or IC40 but I'm not sure how hard the process will be. Does anyone have experience with swapping them out with regard to the size of the cell (will the IC20 or 40 fit in the same spot the IC15 was)? And more importantly, I believe we will also need to upgrade the power supply. How hard will the upgraded power supply be to install? Thanks in advance.

TL,

I believe that the cells are the same size, but the Power Supplies are very different.

The IC15 power supply is a 115 volt plug in device.

The IC20, 40, and 60 all use the same Power Center, but it is designed to be hard wired.. That does not mean you can't plug it in, it just does not come with a cord.

The Power Center can be wired to 120 volts or 240 volts, so you have to wire the transformer for proper input.

Since you have a single speed pump, it would make sense to wire the Power Center to the same voltage that your pump is using. This is because you never want the cell to get power if the pump is not running.

If you have any electrical experience at all, it is pretty easy to do. If not, you will need to have it installed by an electrician.

I assume you do not have any kind if automation system, like an EasyTouch or similar system..

Thanks,

Jim R.

TL,

Most likely.. Technically, it would depend on the wire size and the breaker size, but I suspect it will work just fine.

I assume that your current single speed pump runs off of a mechanical timer.

I'd just add the Power Center to the load side of the timer. If the Pump is running off of 240 volts, then you'd set the Power Center to run off of 240 volts. If your current pump runs off of 120 volts, then the Power Center would need to be set for 120 volt input.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.