pixiedustbelly

Silver Supporter
May 28, 2015
Troy, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Hi!

We had to take our cover off in the middle of winter this year for several reasons. Our pool is beginning to look like a swamp... Not just green, but slime and bubbles growing quickly on the top. I can literally see it getting worse on a daily basis.

We have not turned the pump/filter on yet and can't for several more weeks due to a renovation. Is there anything I can do to help slow down the swamp process at this point? I thought about putting chlorine in but I'm concerned about it not getting moved around enough since the filter isn't on.

Thanks for any advice! 🙏😊

Is there anything I can do to help slow down the swamp process at this point?
You can slowly pour some liquid chlorine in there each day and brush it around. Or if you have a sump pump drop that in there to help mix some chlorine. Just be careful to not pour it all heavily in one spot since you have a liner.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Along with adding 5ppm or so of liquid chlorine daily to help things from getting worse, Using this time to scoop debris out would get you a head start on your impending
SLAM Process.
The more organic material you can remove sooner rather than later the better.

I have a similar situation, I’m waiting on a pump. What I did and it seemed to work well was to drop my sump pump in the deep end without the hose on it.
I put it about 18” down and slowly poured the chlorine over the water the pump was pushing up followed by brushing.

I let that run for awhile and then connected the hose, I left the pump in the deep end and ran the hose to the shallow end and let it run for a few hours.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I’ve dealt with this in the past. This year I let it get way ahead of me. But the essential answer is scoop and scoop and scoop. And start adding bleach around the perimeter and use the brush to mix the water up. At least that seems to work for me. I had zero cya and some ammonia this year - that would be worth testing for early on as it affects how much bleach you will use to convert the ammonia before you can progress on the algae.(something I learned here this year!)

But the centra message I have is use the brush to manually mix the bleach in. Spread it all around the pool each time and brush - it doesn’t need to be a major wall scrub you’re just trying to mix the water.

At one time I had an elaborate plan based around a free cartridge filter. I was going to build a second pump/filter for parallel use during algae events or loss of main circulation. The plan was to mount everything on a single platform on wheels. Then when needed roll it over (anchored or locking wheels) within vac hose distance and drop both hoses in (with a debris catcher attached) to increase filtration during these events.

What stopped me?
1) filter was older model (brand new) without any media and media wasn’t cheap.

2) I found out a little about bonding and it was confusing enough I worried it would be hazardous.

3) the cheaper pumps I found were above ground non self priming and would not be very easy to use with an inground pool.

4) procrastination.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.