Supply/return layout

RussMaGuss

Feb 6, 2023
IL zone 5
I’m backfilling my pool walls tomorrow and will finish up the plumbing shortly after. As of now I just have 1.5” pvc stubs where the returns come through the walls. I am wanting to get opinions about my proposed layout, primarily on the topic of using 1 2” pipe to supply 2 returns and branching them into 1.5” lines as they enter the pool walls. Is this a good idea, of am I better off just running each return with it’s own 1.5” line? Pool is 16x32 with 5.5’ deep end and 1-3’ shallow end. Here is a rough sketch of what I’m thinking. Above the pipes will be 3/4” gravel, ca6, and 3/4” porcelain pavers, so any re-work won’t be nearly as bad as if it were concrete. 0ECB56A2-8441-43AB-893C-43A6D05BF6CA.jpeg

This drawing shows equal flow to the 2 branches. Even if you run independent lines back to the equipment pad, you still need to have the manifold split the flow evenly as opposed in series.
9BE24B5A-7C5A-4EA5-B002-67225FD21FB0.png

I’m backfilling my pool walls tomorrow and will finish up the plumbing shortly after. As of now I just have 1.5” pvc stubs where the returns come through the walls. I am wanting to get opinions about my proposed layout, primarily on the topic of using 1 2” pipe to supply 2 returns and branching them into 1.5” lines as they enter the pool walls. Is this a good idea, of am I better off just running each return with it’s own 1.5” line? Pool is 16x32 with 5.5’ deep end and 1-3’ shallow end. Here is a rough sketch of what I’m thinking. Above the pipes will be 3/4” gravel, ca6, and 3/4” porcelain pavers, so any re-work won’t be nearly as bad as if it were concrete.
What I don't understand is the skimmer placements. You want to place the skimmers on the leeward (downwind side) of your pool. With one at 12 o'clock and one at 5 o'clock, there is no prevailing wind that makes sense for this placement.

If your prevailing wind were 225, and your picture had north at 12 o'clock, 12 o'clock and 1-2 o'clock skimmers would make sense.

Chicago prevailing wind is 210. Where is 210 on this pool placement?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.