Superflo pump losing prime on low speed

s.hashemirud

May 25, 2023
Seattle
Pool Size
hello all,
The pump has been installed in November and was working fine till Feb.
now, it is okay when restart it but loses prime over time. We did backwash, but after some days still loses prime. We have replaced our deck drains recently then there might be some soil/ dust in the water; I mean the water is not perfect, but other than that we didn’t change anything that would affect the pool. After a day, you can see air on top of the pump. No water leak by the way!
Can anyone guess what the problem is?
I also was wondering if you want to run your pump for 12 hours, how would you program it?
Thanks!

VSPs do that at low speeds. There are multiple threads spanning 15 years on this topic. Our hypothesis is that at low speed, the suction is lower and allows some air over time to get in through the pump lid.

Most of us just run a short cycle (on the Superflo, it would be 15 mins) at high speed once a day to clear the air.

To run the superflo for 12 hours, use speed 1 set for 12 hours at whatever speed you want. Speed 2 and Speed 3 to 0 hrs. After the 12 hours, the pump will stop and start again 12 hours later.

Thank you so much for the advice!
We decided to run it with 2200 for 6 hours and 1500 for the rest of the day, but it loses prime on low speed after some days. After a week, the flow for 1500 is almost zero. I meant I barely would notice any flow

VSPs do that at low speeds. There are multiple threads spanning 15 years on this topic. Our hypothesis is that at low speed, the suction is lower and allows some air over time to get in through the pump lid.

Most of us just run a short cycle (on the Superflo, it would be 15 mins) at high speed once a day to clear the air.

To run the superflo for 12 hours, use speed 1 set for 12 hours at whatever speed you want. Speed 2 and Speed 3 to 0 hrs. After the 12 hours, the pump will stop and start again 12 hours later.
To add to what I said, the pump works and you can hear it all the time but after some days the flow gets to zero in low speed

Do you mean higher than 2200?
Yes. 3000 for 15 minutes (smallest segment you can get on the superflo).

Superflo has three programmable run times. Program one for your 2200 for 6 hours, one for 1500 for 6 hours, and one for 15 minutes at 3000.

Does the air bubble go away when you run at 2200 for 6 hours? If so, then you are good to go. If not, add a 15 minute segment at 3000.

Reactions: s.hashemirud
Yes. 3000 for 15 minutes (smallest segment you can get on the superflo).

Superflo has three programmable run times. Program one for your 2200 for 6 hours, one for 1500 for 6 hours, and one for 15 minutes at 3000.

Does the air bubble go away when you run at 2200 for 6 hours? If so, then you are good to go. If not, add a 15 minute segment at 3000.
I forgot to tell you that in the past when I tried to program it for less than 24 hours, it would work and turn off but would not turn on the next day. I needed to turn it on by myself. How can I fix it?
🙏🏿

I forgot to tell you that in the past when I tried to program it for less than 24 hours, it would work and turn off but would not turn on the next day. I needed to turn it on by myself. How can I fix it?
🙏🏿
How old is the pump, and who installed it. That is not expected behavior, per the manual.

Reactions: s.hashemirud

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support