stellaropal

May 26, 2022
Middle Tennessee
Hello Everyone!

I recently (like last night haha) purchased an Intex type pool. I have read tons of forums here and various places all over the web trying to learn all I need to know about the proper care of this pool.

I see the Pool School tab here understandably puts these types of pools in their own category, classifying them as under 3,000 gallons. The one I bought is right around 6,000 gallons, so does that matter when following the guidelines?

From what I have learned, I need to purchase a Taylor K2006 kit. I also plan to use the BBB method.

This might be a dumb question, but as far as opening the pool for the first time: Do I just fill it up, and then test it before adding anything at all? Should I automatically add bleach right off the bat? I have seen so many things about maintaining, but not a lot about opening with the BBB method.

Oh, I don't know if I need to mention this or not, but I also bought a sand filter to use instead of the one the pool came with.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Opal

Hi and welcome! Do you intend to keep this pool up over the winter or are you taking it down and storing? If you aren't leaving it up and will be filling new each year, you can probably get away with the HTH 6-way test kit which will test chlorine and pH, TA, CH, CYA (just a couple of times).

When you fill it, your FC and CYA will be zero. Your pH would be that of your hose water but you'll definitely want some stabilizer and bleach/chlorine to start.

• Love
Reactions: Wobblerlorri
Hi and welcome! Do you intend to keep this pool up over the winter or are you taking it down and storing? If you aren't leaving it up and will be filling new each year, you can probably get away with the HTH 6-way test kit which will test chlorine and pH, TA, CH, CYA (just a couple of times).

When you fill it, your FC and CYA will be zero. Your pH would be that of your hose water but you'll definitely want some stabilizer and bleach/chlorine to start.
Hi V! Thanks so much for the feedback thus far. I'm honestly not sure yet if we will take it down during the winters. I think that ideally we would leave it up... and probably less complaints from my husband if we do lol. I want to do whatever is best for the pool and yard though.

I did see that HTH 6-way is the kit that is mentioned in the Pool School forum for small pools like mine. I guess I have just seen so many other posts about the importance of a good kit, I feel like it's go k2006 or go home haha!

Hey Opal and Welcome !!!
I did see that HTH 6-way is the kit that is mentioned in the Pool School forum for small pools like mine
The under 3000 gallon pool suggestion is just that, a suggestion. Really it's for the pools even smaller than that who can just dump and refill if it goes south. 6k gallons will be a bit more of a doing if it gets away from you.

It's all up to how you see it. :)

I'd leave the pool up and winterize it, if it was mine. The stress on the parts from assembly/removal will cause future rust spots anywhere the coating is worn down. And what are you going to do with all the pieces ? Throw them in a big pile to scratch each other ? All those scratches will start rusting immediately. Rust will likely be the downfall of the pool, no need to help it along.

Reactions: jeffchap
Good advice already given.

We had several Intex pools over the years, and I found it better to leave them up. Also, look into installing a Hayward thru the wall skimmer and a sand filter and saltwater generator. These will all make your pool easier to maintain in the long run and give you more time to enjoy it. The cartridge filter pumps that usually come with these pools are woefully undersized and the hang on skimmers are worthless. A good skimmer will keep all the leaves, bugs and junk out of the water.

Hey Opal and Welcome !!!

The under 3000 gallon pool suggestion is just that, a suggestion. Really it's for the pools even smaller than that who can just dump and refill if it goes south. 6k gallons will be a bit more of a doing if it gets away from you.

It's all up to how you see it. :)

I'd leave the pool up and winterize it, if it was mine. The stress on the parts from assembly/removal will cause future rust spots anywhere the coating is worn down. And what are you going to do with all the pieces ? Throw them in a big pile to scratch each other ? All those scratches will start rusting immediately. Rust will likely be the downfall of the pool, no need to help it along.
Newdude,

Thank you! I didn't even think about scratching the pieces up and them rusting. Sounds like it will be better to leave it up!

Reactions: Newdude
Good advice already given.

We had several Intex pools over the years, and I found it better to leave them up. Also, look into installing a Hayward thru the wall skimmer and a sand filter and saltwater generator. These will all make your pool easier to maintain in the long run and give you more time to enjoy it. The cartridge filter pumps that usually come with these pools are woefully undersized and the hang on skimmers are worthless. A good skimmer will keep all the leaves, bugs and junk out of the water.
Hi Jeff,

I did order a clip on skimmer, I read all the great reviews so I thought it would be sufficient. Now I am wondering if it will be good enough. I also got a sand filter, I read so much about the filter the pool coming with not being able to keep up.

If you're interested, here's my old build thread for my Intex pool including the installation of the Hayward skimmer. The hardest part is making that first cut in the liner. After that you're committed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.