Super chlorinate to kill Virus?

NYAVGUY

Jul 14, 2014
New York
Hi,

My 3-year old was just diagnosed with an adenovirus. I know I keep my pool properly chlorinated at home and assume he got it either from the pool at day camp, or other area of camp.

If my pool is properly chlorinated, do I need to super chlorinate to kill the adenovirus?

Water is sparkling clear with just some minor green algea in shady crevaces that I brush away when visible. I put some Polyquat 60 in last week to try and help with that.

Last readings with TF-100:
FC - 10
CC - 0
PH -7.5
TA - 80
CYA - 60
CH -250

Why do you think your 3 year old got it from the pool? Adenoviruses are usually spread from an infected person to others through close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands, the air by coughing and sneezing, touching an object or surface with adenoviruses on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes before washing your hands. Some adenoviruses can spread through an infected person’s stool, for example, during diaper changing. Adenovirus can also spread through the water, such as swimming pools, but this is less common. It looks like you keep your chlorine high enough relative to CYA. You might lower your PH to 7.2 so the chlorine will be more effective.

When in doubt, look for aChem Geek post-
Remember that viruses don't reproduce in water; they need to be in a host to reproduce. The same is true for protozoan oocysts. So the kill time for viruses and protozoan oocysts is relevant to preventing person-to-person transmission of disease, mostly through the fecal-to-oral route, and not any question of uncontrolled growth since there is none.
Richard

Original post - Chlorine Kill Time

After reading this I would also assume the transmission occurred person - person, not through a pool. Just for your comfort you could bring the pool to shock level for 24 hours.

Thanks for all the replies. I put some MA in and have the PH down to 7.2 now. I think I am going to bring the pool to shock level for a day just for comfort.

I have never done this since getting a SWG. Do I need to turn it off or remove it and install the bypass to protect it from the high chlorine levels, or does it not matter? I know PH and CH are important to prevent damage to the SWG, not sure about high chlorine. I have 12.5% liquid that I use.

Thanks

No need to remove the SWCG cell. It is not effected by shock level chlorine.

You can turn it off, but remember to restart on your normal schedule when your FC returns to target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.