Seminole, FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
We love our big cantilever umbrellas, especially with the heat we've had this summer. They are 4 years old now and after this season we'll need to replace them or do some extensive maintenance/repair (replace fabric figure out a solution for rusting base).
Im thinking of mounting sun shades/sails instead. We would need to be able to remove them in the winter and for big storms. Does anyone have a shade/sail installation that has worked well? Our birdcage is mansard, with a pretty high ceiling in the middle.
The pool runs north to south, and we love having cover on the shallow end as the sun moves east to west.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230820-081114.png
    Screenshot_20230820-081114.png
    713.8 KB · Views: 35
It's amazing how much my yard as filled in since I installed my shade! I'll have to update this pic. I digress.

This is a true "structural" shade sail, not a strung-up tarp, like you might find at the big box stores. They require strong anchor points for each corner (they come in squares and rectangles, too) and once installed with the correct hardware and cable, they are "storm proof." You would not have to bring it down for anything less than gail-force winds (and maybe not even then). They are sewn like the sail on a sailboat, and are engineered at least as strong, so you can imagine the force they can withstand. There are no bases to rust, or trip over or walk around. Mine is going on six or seven years old now, and it looks brand new. I bought the best, and used all stainless steel hardware. I take it down for non-pool season, and I expect that will double its life.

These are the best: We Offer the Best Shade Sails on the Market - Shade Sails LLC

Check out their photo gallery for ideas. I just needed a small one to hide from the sun in the afternoon, but you can cover as much or as little of the pool as you want. I didn't want to block the warming sunlight more than I had to.

The only thing they don't have over an umbrella is that you can't move them around. I have never had the need to. You can see in this pic the umbrella I have in the background. If I need "spot shade" I use that. It is also the best I could find, Tropitone frame with Sunbrella fabric. The frame is all aluminum, and Sunbrella is made from some sort of alien compound that is not found in the periodic table of elements! It must be going on 25 years old now. That's the original shade, and it and the frame look very close to new.

None of these solutions were cheap. And I shudder to think what they might cost now. But I would rebuy them again, because I definitely got what a paid for, and then some. But I may never have to if they keep performing as they have.

Point being: spend the money if you want them to last.

shade sail 7.jpg

Here's a later pic of my umbrella. I built a "hitching post" for it, which solves for it getting blown over in a heavy wind. And when I first bought my chop saw I needed a project to try it out, so I built that octagon cart for it (with wheels) so I could easily roll it around my deck.

umbrella.jpg

You'll see on the Shade Sails website how elaborate you can get with the support structures for one of their sails, but I built mine myself out of 4x4s and guy wire. I'll share how I did that if you're interested. I'm not familiar with that cage you have, in terms of how strong it is, so you may or may not be able to use that for a sail. You might need other structural supports, or somehow beef up the cage. More on that later if you want to talk it through.

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude
Those are identical to what I had over mine in GA, except I had 2 of the largest sails I could buy covering 75% of the pool. They worked extremely well. I suspect the issue you may have is how to mount the sails inside a screened birdcage. I have seen several cages here in FL where the owners have attached hardware to the beams of the cage and attached sun shades. They seem to be holding up very well so far.

If I were doing it inside of a cage, I would use stainless steel eyebolts that go all the way through a cage beam and are held in place with a bolt on the outside - no worry about them pulling out. In GA I used 3/16" stainless steel cable that went around a stainless thimble on each end. If using a 4 sided attachment, you want to have two sides with the ability to adjust tension - either through a turn buckle or a ratchet mechanism. If possible, I would look for a ratchet with a quick release allowing you to take down the sail quickly in the event of high winds.

14115622_1408346772513579_4270475074416855312_o.jpg

Reactions: kimkats and Dirk
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.