Sundance Filter Replacement Interval

Jul 6, 2022
Idaho Panhandle
I have a new Sundance 980 Series Spa. They have two cartridges - inner and outer. Inner is supposed to be replaced every 4 months and outer every 12 months.

I've never replaced filters per manufactures recommendations :) In the past I've only had the pleated once per year recommended type. Instead of replacing the filter yearly, I've cleaned them and used them for 2-3 years.

The outer filter is pleated.
The inner filter is a spun-bound microfiber filter.

The Sundance, I believe, has bypass filtering, so flow during jets usage shouldn't be impacted.
Realistically, how often do I really need to change filters - and is cleaning a possibility for outer and / or inner filter?

I have a new Sundance 980 Series Spa. They have two cartridges - inner and outer. Inner is supposed to be replaced every 4 months and outer every 12 months.

I've never replaced filters per manufactures recommendations :) In the past I've only had the pleated once per year recommended type. Instead of replacing the filter yearly, I've cleaned them and used them for 2-3 years.

The outer filter is pleated.
The inner filter is a spun-bound microfiber filter.

The Sundance, I believe, has bypass filtering, so flow during jets usage shouldn't be impacted.
Realistically, how often do I really need to change filters - and is cleaning a possibility for outer and / or inner filter?
The pleated is the same as you're used to. Easy to clean!

The interior filter is called a MicroClean/Ultra filter and cannot be easily cleaned. Arctic Spa also uses these and, to be honest, we dislike them very much.

We've tried soaking them in TSP and doing a gentle rinse and it seems that may do some good, but spraying them is definitely a no-no. Spraying that filter will rapidly increase the rate that it disintegrates and swells. I'll see if I can find a photo of a client who called us because of 'weird lice-looking things" in his spa.

Yep. It was this filter.
Yes. He was trying to wash it like a normal one.

EDIT: Added photo of a sprayed/washed poly filter.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221216-152342.jpg
    Screenshot_20221216-152342.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
The pleated is the same as you're used to. Easy to clean!

The interior filter is called a MicroClean/Ultra filter and cannot be easily cleaned. Arctic Spa also uses these and, to be honest, we hate them very much.
We've tried soaking them in TSP and doing a gentle rinse and it seems that may do some good, but spraying them is definetly a no-no. Spraying that filter will rapidly increase the rate that it disintegrates and swells. I'll see if I can find a photo of a client who called us because of 'weird lice-looking things" in his spa.

Yep. It was this filter.
Yes. He was trying to wash it like a normal one.

Funny, just finished spraying, then read your message. Fortunately, I think, not much pressure from our indoor sink - probably less than the flow from jets pulling water through.

Anyway, I suspect the "recommended" periods are conservative. My cynical nature says they are doing this to generate more income in filter sales as well. Realistically, what harm would six or eight month change intervals do for this MicroClean/Ultra filter?

Funny, just finished spraying, then read your message. Fortunately, I think, not much pressure from our indoor sink - probably less than the flow from jets pulling water through.

Anyway, I suspect the "recommended" periods are conservative. My cynical nature says they are doing this to generate more income in filter sales as well. Realistically, what harm would six or eight month change intervals do for this MicroClean/Ultra filter?
Potentially no harm, potentially a lot.

The intervals are based on assumed usage. I would say most replacement intervals are conservative, but they may also be insufficient. A large portion of our accounts are Vacation Rental water bodies and these see the worst-case pretty consistently. We've replaced filters within the same month because they were wrecked in 3 weeks (Arctic Spa progressive filters being the most prone to this).

Short version; if you're rinsing off before using you spa with clear, soapless water to help remove surfactants and oils (lotion, soap, deodorant, hair gel etc) then that filter could last you a year with gentle rinses under the sink.
If your spa doubles as your bathtub, you'll find that filter will quickly impede useful filtration and will need to be removed and replaced about as often as they suggest.

Reactions: contentedPilgrim
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.