Sun touch controller

Thanks all! Funny we are all on the same page - I was thinking today that I don't really need the waterfall to work electronically - I'm going to have to go over there anyway so how much more work Is it to twist a valve in addion to hitting the aux1 button? I actually never thought of automating the waterfall until the solar guy suggested it either :roll:

Pool Clown, can you figure out how to get valve A to work when you enable the heat pump setting under the solar mode? It definitely doesn't work in single body mode - I'm just wondering if in pool spa mode this will allow me to control the valves separately? I'm going to try myself tomorrow. I'll do as Jason suggested and only wire the suction valve using spa mode to run the cleaner and pool mode to run filtration and solar.

Jason I totally agree - if the manual was more clear about how and what the controller can do this wouldn't have been so hard or taken so long. The manual doesn't even explain how the feature settings work and a bunch of other options in the controller. The first guy I talked to at tech support kept telling me that solar takes over aux 1. One of the few things that is clear in the manual is that solar uses aux 3.

Thanks to this group I hope to get this working once and for all tomorrow!

carlscan26 said:
Thanks all! Funny we are all on the same page - I was thinking today that I don't really need the waterfall to work electronically - I'm going to have to go over there anyway so how much more work Is it to twist a valve in addion to hitting the aux1 button? I actually never thought of automating the waterfall until the solar guy suggested it either :roll:

Pool Clown, can you figure out how to get valve A to work when you enable the heat pump setting under the solar mode? It definitely doesn't work in single body mode - I'm just wondering if in pool spa mode this will allow me to control the valves separately? I'm going to try myself tomorrow. I'll do as Jason suggested and only wire the suction valve using spa mode to run the cleaner and pool mode to run filtration and solar.

Unfortunately, it is tons easier to turn a valve than to negotiate that menu.

When in solar only mode, the two valves are in effect turned off (As Jason had pointed out earlier) so you would not be able to use those two sockets for anything while in solar only. In pool spa mode, the valves are tied together and both get energized.

Too bad your salesman was not more educated on the sun, easy, and intellitouches . I think you would had been happier with the easy, or the intelli.

To be honest I think the easy touch is probably over kill for my setup and needs. And as I said in my original post automating the waterfall was a nice to have not a must have. I think I have an understanding of what to do; I'll play around with it today and report back

Ok so after trying multiple combinations with Shared Equipment Mode I finally concluded that the manual is wrong: enabling heat pump under the solar menu did not change the availability to control valve A.

So I did as Jason suggested and I disconnected the return actuator and hijacked spa mode for the cleaner. As part of this I disabled heat for spa mode (under the heat menu) so when the cleaner is running it won't try to kick in solar and screw up the optimum cleaner speed (I only plan to run the cleaner outside of solar hours anyway) and scheduled spa mode for early morning hours. I then configured pool mode to run during the day time at a slow speed for filtration and enabled solar for pool mode. Finally I configured Aux1 for a medium speed so I can kick up the speed if solar isn't running with a single button, then a twist of the valve and the water fall is on :) - if the solar is running then I'll just balance the returns/waterfall mix :-D

Additionally the spa button will manually start the cleaner circuit; properly rotating the intake valve when starting and stopping and upping the pump speed to the correct speed :party: The Aux 1 button starts the pump, or if the pump is already running filtration aux1 will kick up the pump speed :whoot:

So I finally have a cleaner circuit (hijacked spa mode) and a filtration circuit operating and scheduled as desired :cheers: :party: :cheers:

Thanks to everyone who contributed on this topic! I hope this story will help anyone else working with a SunTouch controller in the future.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.