sun shade for pool

simphmerj

Jul 29, 2023
Elkton MD
hello, i have a full sun pool (12+ hours per day); i was thinking of getting a sun shade and mount it to my pool fence to shade around 50% and reduce chlorine demand, especially for a two week vacation i have coming up. thoughts, is that going to help?

TIA

Welcome to TFP.

I know @Dirk has a few Sun Shades over his pool. Let's see if he has any thoughts.

I could only guess about how a sun shade would lower chorine consumption. I expect it would. But it will also reduce the heating of the water. Maybe that doesn't matter so much mid season, but spring and fall you might appreciate getting every bit of heat you can.

I installed my shade sail primarily to give me a place to hide from the sun while in the pool. It gets hot enough here for that to be a thing. I purposely chose a small sale, to give me just enough shade, so that I could maximize the water temp. I solved for chlorine consumption, particularly while away, by installing a salt water chlorine generator, which automates chlorine additions. There are too many advantages and benefits of an SWG to list, but here's one: if you get an SWG, you sure won't miss lugging chlorine jugs from the store to the pool every week!

I take my sail down once a year because I don't need it in off season. I figure that will extend its life. And I bought the best there is, some eight years ago and I cannot see a bit of wear and tear. It wasn't cheap, but worth every penny. It is a structural sail. By that I mean it must be properly tensioned, so you need good, solid attachment points. I can share how I did that if you want to know. But the main thing that accomplishes is it eliminates the sail flopping around annoyingly in the wind. It's more like a roof.

You could install multiple sails, and deploy them as needed. More or less depending on the weather and the sun's position. Multiple shade sails has a very attractive look. I got mine from here:
We Offer the Best Shade Sails on the Market - Shade Sails LLC.
Check out their gallery for lots of ideas. The pics show a lot of heavy-duty support structures, and sure, that's the best way to do it. But I'll show you how I did mine "on the cheap" that works just as well.

I have two of the style Dirk has over my pool, I went with the cheap ones on Amazon because I've used them in the past and they hold up well for a few seasons. The biggest benefit is they protect swimmers from the overhead sun when UV is the highest mid-day and stops it from beating into our large sliding doors that are near the pool. Very worth it in my opinion and relatively easy to remove for parts of the season if desired.

As far as FC consumption goes I don't notice a big difference. I don't have a ton of data to compare it to prior to putting up the sails so take that with a grain of salt. I wouldn't consider this a primary use case for these though, a pool cover would likely help with that significantly more.

Screenshot 2023-07-31 at 7.22.33 AM.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.