Sump pump in pool over winter?

MarylandMom

Oct 24, 2022
Phoenix, MD
We have an in ground pool in Maryland so we have to close the pool for about 7-8 months. The pool is a 30 year old concrete with plaster free form pool that we have only owned for 2 years. We have a “pool guy” that has helped us these two years. We have an old mesh safety cover for the pool. Our “pool guy” told us that we should keep a sump pump in the pool (on the step) so that the water (from rain and snow) does not go up to the tile and freeze the tile. Which we have done and has been a pain to check on it regularly and make sure everything is going right. We have been looking into a new safety covers as this old one has some minor damage. All of the sites I’ve seen say that, if we have a mesh cover versus a solid cover, they are easier to maintain because they don’t have a pump to worry about. (I realize the pump on the solid cover is on top of the cover). But now I am wondering if his advice about the pump staying in the pool all winter is good? I haven’t seen anything about this being standard practice?

Hey! Welcome to TFP!! :swim:

By mesh cover, does it have springs on the end that hold it to the deck pop up brass anchors? How is he recommending you "pipe" water from the sump past the mesh cover?

I have a mesh cover with anchors.. I do not keep a sump in the pool. I do however, have a sump that I use occasionally during the winter. I remove the two corner springs, put the sump in (in a bucket to protect the vinyl (tie a rope to the bucket so you can get it out). I lower the water, then remove the sump, and replace the cover.

Yes, it is a safety cover with springs and brass anchors. There is a piece of 1” plastic pipe that goes from the pump, out the side of the cover and into the bushes, and i believe one or two of the springs are left undone for the pipe and power cord. This does not appear to effect the cover’s effectiveness.

Is it a PVC pipe or some other type of plastic?

Not something we recommend, doesn't seem "Trouble Free." However, I don't think it will harm anything and seems like a reasonable solution. Pools just take work.

There may be a chance the pipe, if pvc or brittle plastic, with water in it will freeze and crack the pvc, not a huge loss, but the potential is there. Another issue is if you turn it on with ice in the pipe, it will not pump. If you don't immediately get water out the pipe, turn off the pump. Finally, while not likely, it may be possible for the ice to shift in freezing/thawing cycles, moving the pipe around; when it does that, it may shift the pump and scrape the bottom of the pool. Again, not likely but possible. I always put my pump in a bucket, but the possibility of damaging my vinyl liner is MUCH higher than damage to a plaster pool.

Reactions: MarylandMom
Leaving a submersible pump in the pool can create rust stains. Cheap submersible pumps are not designed for continuous submerged applications. They are designed as point of use water removal devices. The cheap ones often have externally exposed metal screens that are not high quality stainless steel. These pumps are not designed for moving water over long periods of time and pool water can easily become corrosive towards metals when chlorine and chloride are present.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.