Suicidal reptiles and raypak heater boards

Apr 13, 2014
Georgia
38E21668-1BCF-414D-8B43-056591BC5FAE.jpegThis is about one year from replacing it. First was a lizard, this time it was a frog. They are probably trying to escape the cold and something on this end of the board must be warm until it gets tingly.

Anyways is it feasible to try to repair the traces on the board just for a science project?

If its just that top trace that's broken in the group of 5 at the bottom don't worry about it. It looks like it runs over to one of the pads that connects to C9, and C9 isn't installed so that trace really isn't connecting to a part anyway.

When you get burn marks and a charcoal looking board the fiberglass board material can often become conductive and that may be more of an issue. Normally the fiberglass board is insulating so only the copper traces make electrical connections. Try cleaning off all the black stuff with some isopropyl alcohol and see how much of the frog goo comes off.

If you have a multimeter you can measure the resistance between those various board traces to make sure that they don't show low resistance. Put the multimeter leads on the exposed pads (silver colored areas) connected to each of the affected traces and make sure they aren't shorted. The connections won't necessarily be an open circuit, but they shouldn't be less than 100 ohms either.

I went ahead and ordered a new board as there was a deal comparatively at $200 shipped.

I had a couple ideas to protect the new board and wanted your thoughts.

As you know the solder side of the board is like 1/4” away from the steel enclosure. I though about putting some foam rubber in there to fill.

Another idea was to simply tape or spray the back of the board so it became insulated. Plastidip or maybe electrical tape. What are your thoughts?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.