Aug 19, 2017
Houston, TX area
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
As the title suggests, I am looking for suggestions from the experts here on options I should consider and either purchase or request local dealers/pool companies for quotes for in this situation:

My pool pump started running really loud lately. It's a Pentair WhisperFlo WF-28 Pump – 2HP – P/N 011774. It's now nearly 6 years old. I've regretted getting a single speed pump with this pool ever since I learned more about things. It needs to run a lot given that I have a SWG and the pool is exposed to the full Texas sun, and obviously this pump is not the most energy efficient. So, now this seems like an opportunity to do something about that rather than just go for the cheapest fix and try to replace the bearings or replace the motor like-for-like.

Some questions I have that I would appreciate some expert direction on:
  • Can I just get a "generic" two-speed motor and put it on the existing pump? Is there a specific motor I should consider to make this as easy as possible?
  • If I can just put in a simple two-speed motor, how do I control switching between low and high speed given that I don't have any automation and only 2 mechanical timers (1 for the pump and one for the cleaner booster pump, so I think I will need to keep those dedicated for those tasks and won't have an extra to control low/high speed timing)? Or is just low speed sufficient to run all day for everything including when the cleaner booster pump runs and then I'd only need to switch to high when I'm using the spa (for which I have to manually turn the valves anyway).
  • Does it make more sense to just spend the money and get a variable speed pump? Is there a specific model that would be an easy replacement? I understand in that case there would need to be some re-wiring to control the SWG on the timer, which I think I would need to outsource as I'm not that comfortable doing electrical work myself.
  • Other ideas I should consider?
  • Assuming I'm reasonably comfortably with mechanical DIY work but not electrical, what kind of firms do I reach out to for quotes to install this or just buy parts to install myself. Is it a retailer like Leslie's or a pool builder, or even online companies? This is the first time I'll need to have a major part of the equipment replaced that I'm not sure I can do myself, so I have absolutely no experience with this.
Basically, I don't want to just walk into my local Leslie's and ask them this same question since I assume I'll get pool stored, so I hope I can get better educated here first.

Thanks!

Impeller......Total HP.

The 073130 is the best fit for the 2.7 hp motor and will give the best performance.

1627227443044-png.358392

1694644437489.png

Thanks @JamesW , but I have to admit your response is at least a bit cryptic to me :) I am just starting to familiarize myself with pump components, so I am still pretty clueless..... but willing to learn.

Am I understanding this correctly: You're suggesting I can get a Neptune NPTQ270 variable speed motor and it should fit with my current pump if I replace the impeller with the 2HP rated impeller you listed - Pentair impeller P/N 073130? Then the motor should just fit right on the existing pump?
It looks like that Neptune motor has its own timer and speed controls, so I would then control it via the panel on the motor instead of my Intermatic timers? So I would need to have some things rewired so that the timer then controls the SWG instead.
Did I get that right?

Finally, what's the recommendation to have this done if I don't think I can do it all myself - specifically I'm not very comfortable with electrical work? Do I buy all the components myself and have a pool builder or similar install, or would a pool store be able to do all of this 'soup to nuts' for less than just buying a whole new VSP from them? I assume if I go to Leslie's or similar the only option they will give me is to buy a whole new VSP and have it installed for 2x the price of what the solution you suggested should cost....
Thanks to TFP, I've literally never stepped foot in a pool store and have done everything myself so far in 6 years of pool ownership, so I really have no experience dealing with this.

Thanks!

Your current impeller should be a 073129 assuming that it is the original impeller.

The 073129 impeller takes a 2.20 hp motor.

A 073130 impeller takes a 2.60 hp motor.

You can use the original impeller or switch to a 073130.

Or, you can get a new variable speed pump like an Intellifo vsf.

Is the pump in good condition?

Thanks, that's helpful. If I switch the impeller to the 073130, then should the motor you suggested above just fit onto the existing pump? It will take a non-Pentair motor?

The pump itself looks to be in good shape as far as I can tell. It's just running really loud, which I assume is the motor.
If I can do this for $1k instead of $3k by just replacing the motor instead of the whole pump, and by doing some of the work myself, then that's what I'm looking for.

Here is the pump in action: Untitled video - Create and share your videos with Clipchamp

If I switch the impeller to the 073130, then should the motor you suggested above just fit onto the existing pump?
You can use a 2.25 hp motor and your existing 073129 impeller or you can change the impeller to a 073130 impeller and use a 2.7 hp motor.

The benefit of a larger impeller is that you can run slower for the same flow.

Do you need any specific flow for any purpose?

Thanks, that's helpful. If I switch the impeller to the 073130, then should the motor you suggested above just fit onto the existing pump? It will take a non-Pentair motor?

The pump itself looks to be in good shape as far as I can tell. It's just running really loud, which I assume is the motor.
If I can do this for $1k instead of $3k by just replacing the motor instead of the whole pump, and by doing some of the work myself, then that's what I'm looking for.

Here is the pump in action: Untitled video - Create and share your videos with Clipchamp
Replacing just the motor with a Nidec Neptune NPTQ225, and new gasket, shaft seal and O rings could cost as little as $700-$800 depending on where you obtain the motor.

Getting the Neptune NPTQ270 and a new impeller to match would raise the price $250 - $300 or more. Getting the largest horsepower pump and lowering the speed is always the best option if completely replacing a pump. For this type of repair you need to look at how long it would take to recover the extra money in energy savings. If you pay what I think you do for power, that payback will take a very long time.

Regardless of which option you choose, if you are going to DIY, be sure to watch some YouTube videos on replacing a seal or motor in a Whisperflow pump. The important part will be the impeller screw, it is left-hand threaded and must be replaced, even if it is lost, before reassembling the pump.

That noise is not that of a typical bearing sound but more of a metal vibration noise either from the back cover or something stuck in the impeller. I've seen that once and found a stone wedged into the slots on the impeller and rubbing.

That noise is not that of a typical bearing sound but more of a metal vibration noise either from the back cover or something stuck in the impeller. I've seen that once and found a stone wedged into the slots on the impeller and rubbing.
Noise is the rear bearing cup in a Century 56-frame motor. They were always a bit large to begin with. Then, a slightly out-of-balance impeller will cause the whole motor shaft to start wobbling at that end, just a little at first, but then you get what I always called the "rum-rums."
Quick fix was to remove the end bell, wrap the bearing with about three wraps of Teflon tape, and reinstall the end cap. The motor is damaged and this, while stopping the noise, was only temporary, maybe a year before it started again.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Do you need any specific flow for any purpose?
I need enough flow for the following (but I don't know how much "enough" is in all of these cases):
- trigger the flow switch so the SWG runs
- run the Polaris 280 cleaner, which has its own booster pump on its own timer. Presumably I need some amount of "base flow" for the booster pump to provide enough flow to the cleaner.
- it'd be nice to still be able to feel the jets when I'm sitting in the spa in spa mode, and to have enough flow to heat up the spa reasonably quickly
In low speed mode I guess my spa spillover waterfall is just going to be a sad trickle, but I think I can live with that. It will run all the time since I don't have any automation.

Replacing just the motor with a Nidec Neptune NPTQ225, and new gasket, shaft seal and O rings could cost as little as $700-$800 depending on where you obtain the motor.

Getting the Neptune NPTQ270 and a new impeller to match would raise the price $250 - $300 or more. Getting the largest horsepower pump and lowering the speed is always the best option if completely replacing a pump. For this type of repair you need to look at how long it would take to recover the extra money in energy savings. If you pay what I think you do for power, that payback will take a very long time.

Regardless of which option you choose, if you are going to DIY, be sure to watch some YouTube videos on replacing a seal or motor in a Whisperflow pump. The important part will be the impeller screw, it is left-hand threaded and must be replaced, even if it is lost, before reassembling the pump.
Thanks for this. My power rates aren't too bad here, so I don't think I need to be absolutely optimal. Currently my SS pump is running at full speed for 10 hours a day in the summer, so I think should already get a pretty good benefit just by replacing with the slightly smaller NPTQ225.
I think I'm comfortable doing the mechanical work to replace the motor myself. But electrical work can be like kryptonite to me and I'm not sure I'm comfortable rewiring things. If I buy all these parts, does a Leslie's or similar install it for me, does anyone have experience with that?

For two-speed, you can add a timer (Intermatic T106) that works with your existing timer for hi/lo run times.
There is also an option to put a toggle switch directly on the motor. It's on a cover that replaces the one at the rear of the pump. Note that this option has to be manually switched hi/lo.
A.O. Smith 18313301 Toggle Switch for 2 Speed Motor. About $70

I found InyoPools sells this complete upgrade kit to convert a Whisperflo to a VSP. If I'm reading this right this would be equivalent to the 2.7HP motor and 2HP impeller that was recommended here initially by James, all in one kit including the impeller, shaft seal, and o-rings. Am I interpreting this correctly, is there anything missing, and does anyone have any experience with these?

Pentair Whisperflo VS Motor Upgrade Kit - 2.2HP - MKIT32VS22 - INYOPools.com

You should already have the correct impeller.

You can use a 2.25 hp motor and your existing 073129 impeller or you can change the impeller to a 073130 impeller and use a 2.7 hp motor.

The benefit of a larger impeller is that you can run slower for the same flow.

I would probably go with the Neptune motor and an Ozone/Salt seal.

Check the impeller to see if it is Ok before you decide what to do.

The Inyo deal is probably ok, but I think that the Neptune motor is probably a little bit better.

Thanks James - the Inyo deal seems attractive because it's a complete kit from a vendor I am familiar with and I don't have to hunt for the right parts and a new vendor.

If I replace the impeller to the 071310 and purchase a 2.7 hp motor, and the seals, o-rings, etc., then I would functionally end up with essentially the same thing as this complete new pump, is that right (2.6 vs 2.7 THP seems pretty close)?
Pentair Whisperflo VST 2.60 THP Inground Pool Pump, Variable Speed 115/208-230V - EC-011533 , which looks like would also just drop in to replace my existing pump with no re-plumbing required.

If that is functionally basically the same then I just need to get some quotes now and see how much the savings are between these various options and also determine if it's worth trying to mess with this myself.

The WhisperFlo VST would require some plumbing because it does not have unions.

You could get the WhisperFlo VST and pull out the whole back end and slip it into the housing, which would only require redoing the electrical.

I've looked through the manual for that InyoPools kit. All of the variable speed controls on that motor are managed via a single button....press once to do X, press twice to do Y, press three times to... There is no display or anything. While they market this as a 'simplified single button user interface', that seems ridiculous and removes that kit option from consideration for me.
So looking at the Neptune motors more closely now, I see they are all frame size 48Y. I think my current motor is a 56Y. Is that Neptune motor recommended above really going to fit as a replacement on my pump?

Here's the sticker on my current motor. I read this as frame size 56Y, not 48Y.
1694886898393.png

The Square Flange motor will work.

On the Nidec Brochure, they incorrectly list both types of motor as "Square Flange".

The 48Y frame will work and it is the Square Flange motor.

The 56J is a C-Flange or round motor.

1694889420905.png

1694889619067.png

The two styles are Round (C-Face) and Square Flange.

The motor on the left is round, the motor on the right is square.

Neptune-home.png

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.