Suggested chlorine supplementations by duck hours?

Klutz14159

Silver Supporter
Aug 4, 2018
Sunnyvale, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Water's slowly warming up, but I don't have a pool cover on it since my 12mil pool cover disintegrated a few months ago at exactly the two year mark. So we're getting daily duck visits now, but I'm running short of reagents to test daily so early in the season (waiting on refills order). Anyone have guidance on how much impact ducks have on pool chlorine levels?

As long as chlorine is kept always in target range - no effect at all.

I have two ducks breeding at different times in the early season, one of them doing 2 batches.

One is a single mum, hardly any mess in the pool. The other has dad visiting, and he always leaves a mess. I vacuum (either manually or with the suction cleaner) through a skimmer sock, and Bob's your uncle.

I keep FC around 10 all year, in summer with CYA around 60-80, in the pre-season when the ducks come more like 40-60. Never saw any influence of the ducks on FC consumption.

If they decide to nest next to your pool, then make sure you think of an escape route for the ducklings. Usually doesn't cross mum's mind, that the little ones can't get out of the pool.

1711173047849.png

Last edited:
Didn't look at the pool for a week, but admired the ducks from afar. Received some replacement o-rings today and when I went to put them in, there were big blotches of brown stains everywhere on the bottom of the pool and the steps, and brown mounds on the coping. Can't believe a few ducks left that much stuff around the pool...

Last edited by a moderator:
Didn't look at the pool for a week, but admired the ducks from afar. Received some replacement o-rings today and when I went to put them in, there were big blotches of brown stains everywhere on the bottom of the pool and the steps, and brown mounds on the coping. Can't believe a few ducks left that much stuff around the pool...

Yep, you need to stay on top of the poop. As I said, when ducks are nesting, I vacuum through a skimmer sock. Frequently...

Last edited:
Reactions: Klutz14159

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Klutz,

Ducks are very good at generating a lot of poop... :cry:

Jim R.
I have a group of khaki campbell ducks that I raise for eggs and this is an understatement. I have a kiddie pool setup for them and the first week I had them I thought I could keep their water clean. I was changing the water 4 times a day and it was clear for maybe 30 mins. it took a while but I realized I was fighting an impossible battle. On a positive note, their poop is pretty good fertilizer.