Sudsy Film After Using Pool Store Liquid Chlorine

Aug 9, 2013
Dallas, TX
I’ve been buying the 12.5% liquid chlorine from my local family-owned, trusted pool store for a few years now. This year, I’ve noticed that the brand has changed, but the strength of active ingredient has remained the same. However, I’m now noticing a sudsy film coming out from the returns when I’ve used their liquid chlorine recently. It appears for a few hours while the pump is running, then seems to dissipate. When the pump comes on again the next day, it may or may not reappear. It only seems to be an issue for a day or two. Is this anything to be concerned about?

I prefer to get the 12.5% in order to do more with fewer jugs taking up space, but I don’t want to use something that’s harmful, either.

Have they added the words "Splashless" or "Easy Pour" to the label? Splashless bleach has an additive that causes it to foam up like that. It goes away in a couple of days and isn't harmful AFAIK. But it does leave a slimy ring around the pool.

That’s a good point - I’ll have to look. Unfortunately, I don’t have any more of those bottles, but I can check. I guess that would be an inactive ingredient, so it wouldn’t have to be listed on the label? That was the first thing that I checked when I saw that their brand had changed.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.