Sudden TA rise

Russmd

May 14, 2013
I have a salt pool. Everything has been stable, Cl 4-6, pH 7.8, TA 70, cya 50 for a couple of months. Don’t add much other than a touch of muriatic acid weekly. All of a sudden on weekly test today, TA is 120. pH 8.0. What can cause TA to jump like that? Value was rechecked, nothing added during week. The pool is kept warm, around 87, by a solar heater, Southern California. Thanks.

Evaportation and refill with high TA fill water.
What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?

Also, check the CH of the fill water just before and a few days after your water softener tank is changed out every two months. Chances are the CH is quite a bit higher right before the tank is changed out.

Thanks. I’ll check the numbers on the fill water; even if it didn’t have a softener tank on it, that jump in one week is still much higher than I would have expected. Another thought- I forgot that I had the filter tank cleaned out and recharged with DE a couple of weeks ago. Could that cause a jump in TA?

Testing error or reagents possibly.
How old are the reagents in our K-2006?

You said you're in SoCal near LA. Are you not on city water? Is the well a community well or on your property.

Reactions: beeswax
The testing was triple-checked by my pool man, although I will do my own verification tomorrow, haven’t had a chance yet, and I’ll check the fill water at the same time. His numbers have been reliable in the past. We are not on LA city water; in Camarillo it is a small local water company from local aquifers, very hard.

Evaportation and refill with high TA fill water.
What is the pH, TA and CH of your fill water?

Also, check the CH of the fill water just before and a few days after your water softener tank is changed out every two months. Chances are the CH is quite a bit higher right before the tank is changed out.
I did a careful, repeated testing today.
Pool:
FCl - 4.5
pH - 8.0*
TA - 90
Calcium - 750
Salt - 3600
Cya - 70

Fill water from dedicated exchange tank:
pH - 7.4
TA - 230
Calcium - 350*
Salt - <200

House water:
TA - 250
Calcium - 0

My take:
-The exchange tank dedicated for my pool fill water is changed every 8 weeks; I'm currently at week 5. Considering the temperatures here, I do have a lot of evaporation and have probably exhausted that tank's capacity already. My house tanks are changed every 2 weeks, hence the 0 calcium. I'll ask about more frequent changes during the summer months.
-We have very high calcium in our water out here, always a problem.
-I'll have to talk to my pool man about that pH of 8. He knows better. I always strive for 7.6-7.8.
-The TA, repeated, is 90. I like that better. It was 70 previously so not as precipitous a rise as he told me. Guess I can't trust his numbers like I thought.
-My reagents and kits are fresh.

Anything to add would be appreciated. Thanks so much.
Russ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.