Suction bubbles -- should I lube O-rings in brand-new valves & blue O-ring in IntelliFlo3 pump?

Desmond.TFP

Nov 26, 2012
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool was off for 3+ weeks, then installed new IntelliFlo3 with rebuilt suction manifold, all valves are new. Primed up and started this morning, and 8 hours later still lots of bubbles visible in:
  • suction check-valve:
  • pump basket:
  • coming out pool return.
Installer did not lube the O-rings in the new valves or the blue O-ring in the IntelliFlo3 lid, and says: "Turn the pump off, and stand there. Which way is the water flowing? Is it going back down the pipe or is it sucking up into the filter? If it doesn't drain, then there is no leak. A really dirty filter will make bubbles too, including bubbles flowing in through the check valve into the pump"

Should I ask for the O-rings to be lubed? Including the blue one? And is what he is telling me reasonable?

Seems like a lot of air in the basket which indicates a suction side leak. Do you have pool lube? Try removing the pump lid and ensure the o-ring and mating surfaces are clean. Lube the o-ring and tighten the lid by hand. Restart the pump and, while it primes, open the air relief valve on the filter until a steady stream of water shoots out.

The o-rings in new valves should not require service. Check the tightness of the union nut at the front of the pump.

You can sometimes find an air leak by running water over the suction side plumbing. When water finds the air leak, bubbles decrease/stop:

Last edited:
I suppose a really dirty filter could restrict flow enough to effect priming. Is you filter really dirty?

@1poolman1 can help.
Pumps do two things, they suck and they spit. It can't do one if it can't do the other. Have never seen a new pump, valve, filter, etc. that needed the O rings lubed. As a matter of course, I always did so (except a valve), but that was just me, no instructions require it that I have seen.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.