Stumped on my Polaris 280... Not climbing walls or going to shallow end

I actually got mine working well again. I followed the directions on the hose setup more precisely and it's good again. Happy again. Don't discount how important float position and leader hose setup is.

Lastly, I already have my eyes on The Pool Cleaner as a replacement for this Polaris. I have just about had it with this thing. It is great when it works, but a pain and a mystery to figure out the times it is not. Not sure if the grass is greener, but it seems like a lot of the "experts" here (Jbizzle, Mas985, ChemGeek) have The Pool Cleaner, so that tells me something.

Thats a suction cleaner that needs one of the skimmer baskets. Also, you can't really put it on a timer like you can the polaris. Not to discount what those folks have experienced with The Pool Cleaner, just seems like it would be a step backwards.

But I can imagine its frustrating being in your position. I'm sure with trial and error you'll figure it out...

The 280, and any other random orbit cleaner for that matter, does take some time to actually get everything. I want a remote control robotic cleaner so I can steer it exactly where I want it, and be done cleaning in 5-10 minutes. I don't know if they make a robot with a remote control, but that's what I'm gonna recommend when I do the pool cleaner survey. Just seems like a waste of electricity to let it run for 2-3 hours until it finally hits the whole pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats a suction cleaner that needs one of the skimmer baskets. Also, you can't really put it on a timer like you can the polaris. Not to discount what those folks have experienced with The Pool Cleaner, just seems like it would be a step backwards.
There are different models of The Pool Cleaner and they are not all suction models. The one I have is a 4-wheel pressure-side cleaner that runs on a dedicated line at 15 GPM using my variable speed pump.

So even after putting the thrust jet to the 7 o'clock position it has still managed to get stuck in my solar cover, but it is happening very seldomly. This is also having drilled out the opening in my red restrictor disc to increase the flow a little bit. My drill job made the hole too big so that it's the same RPM as no restrictor disc. So, perhaps the solution is just try the blue restrictor disc and see if that slows it down some and keeps from climbing the walls or climbing much less.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would you be willing to layout the hose on the pool deck, and snap some pictures of it so we can see the whole setup? I now have mine working perfectly again, but it took some careful planning of swivels and floats.

If I have some time I will try to do it steveg_nh, but I am doubtful that it is the hose. Probably last Fall I finally said to myself I was tired of the hose getting all twisted. It was at that time after some research and investigating that I realized one of the swivels was not pointed in the right direction (perhaps the prior owner or their pool guy did not realize there is a direction to them). I corrected it and put in the right direction, and that helped reduce the hose tangling. I also adjusted the spacing on my floats at that time just for adjustment sake. From what I see, they seem spaced good enough and what not.

There are different models of The Pool Cleaner and they are not all suction models. The one I have is a 4-wheel pressure-side cleaner that runs on a dedicated line at 15 GPM using my variable speed pump.

I forgot to ask you before Chem Geek, but re: the 15 GPM, is that what you figured is the minimum necessary to operate The Pool Cleaner for your setup? I assume you have your VS pump programmed at different RPMs throughout the day. Or, are you saying you have a dedicated run time program that operates the Pool Cleanear at 15 GPM?

The owner's manual for the 4-wheel pressure-side The Pool Cleaner say to adjust the wheel RPM to be between 12 and 15 RPM. The cleaner is designed to run off of volume, not pressure, so does not need a booster pump. Because I already had a dedicated line for my older cleaner that used a booster pump, I just reused that for The Pool Cleaner. I experimented with different GPM and found that the lowest setting of 15 GPM the Pentair Intelliflo VF could output worked the best. That was fortunate since it meant I could reuse that dedicated 1.5" line without having a valve to divert some flow elsewhere, say to other returns (i.e. if 15 GPM had been too much).

I have the Pentair IntelliTouch for automation so have a program turning on The Pool Cleaner by itself in the evening for 2 hours so this is dedicated with no other flow from returns. There is a Jandy valve that switches between having the pump output go to the regular returns vs. going to this dedicated line to the cleaner.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.