Stuck Return "Eyeball" Threading

Jun 24, 2017
York/PA
Not exactly sure what to call it, but trying to remove the 'eyeballs' that direct the returns. The piece with threads that screw into the wall (and subsequently the collar screws onto) is stuck to the point that I can't get it to turn to remove it. Tried using pliars to remove it and only managed to destroy the threads, but it won't budge.

I could use a pipe wrench on it, but I'm worried about destroying the piping inside the walls of the pool.

I'm thinking that maybe I will have to break it up and pull it out in pieces. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get it out, or something that I can use in the future to keep it from binding up in the first place?

Thanks!

Tried using pliars to remove it and only managed to destroy the threads
What kind of pliers? Channel locks have always worked for me.
something that I can use in the future to keep it from binding up in the first place?
Pool lube at least once per season, usually the spring coating is enough but have them apart again for any reason, coat them again.

Be mindful that it will make them tighten much easier so don't overdo it.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ther is a special too for that but if it needs to come out today I will try to explain. The returns are thee parts, the most outer that holds the eye ball, the eye ball itself and a back portion that holds a three together. At times the last piece stays in the wall and needs to be unscrewed separately. Lay on you stomach just above the return with a long nose or needle nose pliers. The inside of this part has 2 slots 180° apart staring from the face of it going deeper in. Open up the nose of the pliers holding it with both hands OPEN in those slots. Once you feel they're in the slots, keeping a good hold on the open pliers with some pressure, start to counter clockwise the pliers and it'll also turn that part. Once it starts to turn the rest can be done by hand. It just gets slightly stuck and won't always come out as one sandwiched part.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Not exactly sure what to call it, but trying to remove the 'eyeballs' that direct the returns. The piece with threads that screw into the wall (and subsequently the collar screws onto) is stuck to the point that I can't get it to turn to remove it. Tried using pliars to remove it and only managed to destroy the threads, but it won't budge.

I could use a pipe wrench on it, but I'm worried about destroying the piping inside the walls of the pool.

I'm thinking that maybe I will have to break it up and pull it out in pieces. Does anyone have any other suggestions on how to get it out, or something that I can use in the future to keep it from binding up in the first place?

Thanks!
I had the same problem. You can cut a piece of steel to engage the inner notches. Then figure out some way to grab onto it and turn.
IMG_3878.jpeg

Reactions: Texas Splash
They always work as long as the eyeball tool is inserted to the end they work. The one pictured looks like you were barely seated in the fitting so it started to ruin the tool but the fitting is perfect. Tap it in to the end and walla.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They always work as long as the eyeball tool is inserted to the end they work. The one pictured looks like you were barely seated in the fitting so it started to ruin the tool but the fitting is perfect. Tap it in to the end and walla.
Trust me, the tool was inserted all the way in and tight and just wouldn’t budge. Even the first version of the metal tool, it was so tight I had to weld longer bars on my tool to get enough leverage to break it loose cause I couldn’t do it with shorter versions. The plaster installers used a wrench to tighten them before leaving. 😡

Reactions: DavidArmenB
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.