Stubborn stains and what to do????

Jul 3, 2012
The gunite/plaster(?) is white and it usually looks like Caribbean water. I have had a portion of this stain for three years. It didn’t get any bigger but it wouldn’t go away. Taking pictures to various local pool stores, no one could identify it. Paid one pool company to come look at it and they shrugged. I thought it was staining due to several evergreens that had grown too close to the pool. Had them cut back. This year, after opening, once the water was clear, I noticed the stains had spread significantly.

I never have a problem with clarity. The pool does go through a lot of chlorine as we have full sun exposure all day.

I found your site. Used the technique for identifying stains and as you can see from one photo, there are three puck circles in one stain, so I started the slam process.

I used the test kit that is recommended/sold through this site. My water chemistry before starting:

CYA: 40
FC: 1.2
CC: 0
TA: 100
CH: 250
PH: 7.2

This is day three of the SLAM. I have been checking three times a day, morning, afternoon and last thing at night. Each time I add chlorine, I’ve been brushing the pool. Last night the chlorine was 16. This morning, it was 10.5.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Meyerson1.jpg
    Meyerson1.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 71
  • Meyerson2.jpg
    Meyerson2.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Meyerson4.jpg
    Meyerson4.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 71
Welcome to the fourm!

If your FC dropped nearly 6 ppm overnight you are killing algae or other organics. If there is any way you can test and dose more often it will go faster. Be sure to brush those stains alot during the SLAM.

Good luck.

I am checking every few hours now and keeping it at 16 with minimal additions. I also bought an "algae" brush. While I'm not seeing visible signs of lightening, I am now seeing "dirt" or I guess dead algae when I push with the brush. I am brushing more often now.

It may work, but the SLAM is not intended to remove stains. Complete the SLAM as per the instructions and then start on identifying and removing stains if they still are there.....I think they will be.

It looks like classic copper stains to me. The turquoise and black/gray are typical copper stain colors.

A vitamin C tab will usually make a darker spot.

Sulfamic acid might make the spots lighter. Jack's Magic Stain Solution #2 The Copper & Scale Stuff is sulfamic acid. Try some on a spot.

Note that sulfamic acid will combine with chlorine for a long time and you will get persistent CCs for weeks if you do a full treatment.

My guess is I have multiple issues. Just read about Jacks Magic and it requires a specific pool chemistry. I'm still working on getting a successful overnight chlorine test. I don't think I can treat for copper till I'm done.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Copper is rarely in your water source. It comes from copper piping, or a heater core, or copper algaecides, or multi component solid chlorine additives (most anything for a pool with with the word 'Blue' in the name).

Do you have a read on metals in your well water?
Eg. Maganese can also make that color of stain...but in theory I'd expect it to respond a little to ascorbic acid, whereas copper sometimes just goes darker.

Another test on the copper theory once you've completed the slam would be to try dry acid on it. If it works, its likely copper. Alternately you could use MA if you had a way to apply it, eg maybe a makeshift dish soap wand if used with caution.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.