Stubborn Algae problem/Conversion has Begun

Butterfly said:
Water is looking pretty good :goodjob:

POP (Pool Owner Patience) will help ease you toward that light at the end of the tunnel :-D

Got my fingers crossed :wink:

we have about 5 young nephew's and neices and some other older children that will be here Saturday afternoon through Labor day that are going to be pretty upset if they cant swim. So, I'm praying.

IMO, you can swim in the pool anytime you want.

Just let the FC come down a little and bring it back up when you're done.

If you think about it, the only likely thing in your water is a little leftover baquagoo and you've been swimming with that for years.

Worst case is the unlikely aspect of a faded bathing suit (because of lack of CYA) but there has yet to be a documented case of that on this forum.

Wooo Hooo

Checked at 10:30 (3 hours after last dose) and FC was 10.0. It has never gone up that much after one dose and stayed. I added .8 jugs of bleach. CC was down to 3.5 too. :whoot: It must have been the sand.

Day 13, Sept 5

7:15 AM FC=7 getting better. did not add - night only

7:45 PM FC=1 added 2.2 jugs of bleach
10:00 PM FC=10 added .8 jugs of bleach
10:30 PM FC=15

Day 14 Sept 6

6:30 AM FC=8.5 Dropped 6.5 over night. Getting better but not there yet. Couple more nights maybe.

9:30 PM FC=0.5 added 2.5 jugs of bleach
10:30 PM FC=10 added .8 jugs of bleach
11:10 PM FC=16

Day 15, Sept 7
6:30 AM FC=11.5 CC=3.5 Only dropped 4.5, Almost There!

8:00 PM FC=.5 added 2.3 jugs bleach
10:00 PM FC = 12 added .5 jugs of bleach
10:30 PM

Day 17, Sept 9

5:30 AM FC=10 CC=2.5 Overnight drop of 4.0

crewchief47 said:
::epds::

Just a quick note to let you know we're all still watching......
Thanks!
I can't believe how many nights this is taking. Every night I think "this is the night for only 1 FC drop. But, no luck yet. Hopefully soon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Amoses,

How is your filter psi?

Did it change much when you changed the sand?

Did you backwash after you changed it to rinse the sand?

Have you backwashed since installing it?

Has your filter psi risen since you changed it?

duraleigh said:
Amoses,

How is your filter psi?
PSI is running at 8 PSI
duraleigh said:
Did it change much when you changed the sand?
down about 2 PSI from what it was before

duraleigh said:
Did you backwash after you changed it to rinse the sand?
after changing the sand I backwashed for about 1 minute, water was clear, must have been pretty clean sand because it never was very dirty coming out. I then rinsed for about one minute, water was clear. I then changed it to filter and let it run

duraleigh said:
Have you backwashed since installing it?
Have not backwashed scince the initial backwash done after sand was changed, PSI has stayed at 8 and water flow seems the same.

duraleigh said:
Has your filter psi risen since you changed it?
No

Did I do everything Okay?

Those are all good things. IMO. it means there is not much junk left in your water. Your pool is taking longer than normal but others have taken longer, I think.

Stay the course. Chlorine is the answer and once you get thru this, your costs are going to head w-a-a-a-y down and you can enjoy the fruits of all your hard labor.

Day 17 cont

7:30 PM FC= .5 CC=1.5 added 2.3 jugs bleach
9:30 PM FC=12.5 added .5 jugs bleach
10:00 PM FC=14 CC=2.5

Day 18, Sept 10

5:30 AM FC=12 CC=2 Overnight drop of 2PPM

10:50 PM FC=.5 added 2.3 jugs bleach
11:20 PM FC=12 CC=1.5 added .5 jugs bleach
11:50 PM FC=14 CC=1.5

DAy 19, Sept 11

5:30 AM FC=14 CC=1 FC Drop of 0 :party:
and this was with it sprinkling part of the night

Now what? My CC = 1, so this night does not count, right? I still need two nights in a row with 1 FC or less drop and .5 CC or less right? Or was this close enough to count for night 1?

Aaron

The two night thing is kind of like extra insurance.

These three items are good goals to meet to let you know you have completed the process...

1. Your pool water is sparkling
2. Your CC's are .5ppm or less
3. You can hold your FC overnight without losing more than 1ppm.

You've done 1 and 3 so just keep the FC up there another day or two and your CC's will very likely drop to .5 or less and you'll be done.

As a side note, I notice it took an hour for your bleach dosage to circulate throughout the pool (at least according to the tests). The only reason I mention that is we usually think of bleach being completely distributed in 30 minutes......do you feel like you're getting good flow from your returns?

duraleigh said:
do you feel like you're getting good flow from your returns?
Yes my flow is as good right now as it has ever been. additionally, since the pool was pretty full from rain, I backwashed for two min and rinsed for 1 min before I added any bleach last night. Water coming out was clear, PSI is 8, and flow feels normal. It seems that whenever I have added bleach the first time and checked .5 hours later, it never has gone more than about 12 or 12.5 the first check, not sure why. even after adding .5 it still only came up to 14. Maybe my gallons are more than what I have calculated? 24" round, 54 wall. middle of the skimmer is 49". I have been figuring 13,800 gal.

even after adding .5 it still only came up to 14. Maybe my gallons are more than what I have calculated? 24" round, 54 wall. middle of the skimmer is 49". I have been figuring 13,800 gal.
No, I think your dosages are excellent.....don't change a thing. I just found it interesting that it took one hour for your FC to come up to speed......good info to digest.

Focus on getting that CC down (with FC just like you've been doing) and you are very, very close to being fininshed.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.