Struggling with Intex filter/pump 1500 gph and lots of visible pollen everywhere ( maybe algae)

May 10, 2016
Boston
So I'm not new to tfp and it's been a great few years with my hot tub and one year with the above ground pool.

We opened the pool for the season, refilled the missing water. Rebalanced and SLAM'D while running water through a polyfill bucket to remove iron. The water slowly got more and more blue and it's looking quite clear but...

We're getting green buildup on the walls and floor. I'm scrubbing every chance I get but I don't think the 1500 gph (5,000 gal pool) is getting much out of the water. Been scrubbing often and running filter 24/7 and did multiple overnight tests, we're not even losing chlorine. Less than 1ppm overnight. Every scrub turns the pool dark green. Very cloudy after a scrub.

Keeping chlorine levels at 4.5-12 during this process, 30 CYA. 7.4 ph. (My app log is not very complete because multiple of us are working on the pool so it doesn't reflect all additions or measurements. Mostly the low points when I had a chance to log). I don't think there's a live algae bloom because Low overnight chlorine loss, but I can't clean this Dang pool, and it looks heavy when I scrub.. like dead algae.

It's a new filter (type A), we went through two this month. I'm cleaning the filter every day. I notice that as it runs, by the next day it slows the return inlet quite a bit until I clean it again. But it's been about two weeks of this and I'm struggling to get the water clean in any measurable way.

Time for a new pump? Or is this just pollen season for most people?

I've been debating a sand filter and I hate buying new filters but I don't want unrealistic expectations.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If u have green forming there’s still live algae.
Keep it at SLAM Process fc level for your cya as frequently as possible- every couple hours is best if possible.
You may be better served by draining, scrubbing to remove as much organics as possible & refilling then continue the slam being as u have such an undersized easily overwhelmed pump/filter. Of course u will probably have to do the polyfill thing again.

Reactions: FredFredrickson
If u have green forming there’s still live algae.
Keep it at SLAM Process fc level for your cya as frequently as possible- every couple hours is best if possible.
You may be better served by draining, scrubbing to remove as much organics as possible & refilling then continue the slam being as u have such an undersized easily overwhelmed pump/filter. Of course u will probably have to do the polyfill thing again.
Thanks for your feedback. I've done multiple overnight tests and we're not losing almost any chlorine so I've been wracking my head and finally ditched the intex paper filter today and got a sand filter, and installed it this afternoon. Really big difference almost immediately.

Right off the bat, I noticed when vacuuming the suction was better, and the water didn't slowly turn dark green and cloudy as I did it.

Once I finished vacuuming the water was blue.

I think the problem has been that my old filter really was just putting all the dead stuff back into the pool and taking a day to settle.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Now that it’s possible you can try vacuuming to waste as well to get most of the stuff out. Then going back to vacuuming to filter.
Watch the gauge & backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure if it has #’s on it. I can’t remember if my intex one just had green, yellow & red- if so don’t wait until red.

Be sure & Update your signature with the new equipment👍🏻
When u get to where u are passing Overnight Chlorine Loss Test but its still a little cloudy u can try adding a little de if u have a skimmer. Not sure if it’s possible without one though. Here’s the guide 👇
Be sure to Maintain SLAM Process level for your cya until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.

Now that it’s possible you can try vacuuming to waste as well to get most of the stuff out. Then going back to vacuuming to filter.
Watch the gauge & backwash when pressure rises 25% over clean pressure if it has #’s on it. I can’t remember if my intex one just had green, yellow & red- if so don’t wait until red.

Be sure & Update your signature with the new equipment👍🏻
When u get to where u are passing Overnight Chlorine Loss Test but its still a little cloudy u can try adding a little de if u have a skimmer. Not sure if it’s possible without one though. Here’s the guide 👇
Be sure to Maintain SLAM Process level for your cya until u pass ALL 3 end of slam criteria.
Is it terrible to leave the pump on "filter" mode rather than waste when vacuuming? Our water has iron in it so I have to setup a bucket with polyfill every time we top off and I prefer to not lose water if I don't have to...

I just re-read your comment. Yes!

Also, attached are before / after pics because it's so nice!

Attachments

• signal-2022-06-15-163904.jpeg
    signal-2022-06-15-163904.jpeg
    484 KB · Views: 6
  • signal-2022-06-15-163818_002.jpeg
    signal-2022-06-15-163818_002.jpeg
    468.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Is it terrible to leave the pump on "filter" mode rather than waste when vacuuming? Our water has iron in it so I have to setup a bucket with polyfill every time we top off and I prefer to not lose water if I don't have to...

I just re-read your comment. Yes!

Also, attached are before / after pics because it's so nice!
🥳🥳🥳

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.