Strange goop building up

Apr 18, 2015
Alabama
Just above the skimmer of my in ground vinyl liner pool I’ve been getting a build up behind the liner of this thick whitish opaque goop. It pushes the liner out of the track. You can push it out and scrape it off with a spatula. I can not figure out what is going on. It’s been going on awhile, but this last time was a lot of goop. I don’t see it happening anywhere else. It’s just the section above the skimmer. Some kind of chemical reaction? I don’t know what would be oozing goop. Any idea? My pool water is fine. Hubby threw the goo away before I could get a photo. I’m sure there will be more.

I think a pic next time might help, both of the goop and the area behind the liner.
Working on it. Can’t see behind the liner. I squish out the goop and push the liner edge back in, but it’s getting harder to do. I can’t get a goop photo today, but I have a photo of the skimmer if I can manage to attach without getting my whole photo album on here! Looks like I need to clean my skimmer face plate. 🙄E68EB4E5-A05C-40B7-A7EB-8339DFB8CA6F.jpeg8573A462-81C6-4CEC-8852-BC45BD65505F.jpeg123227B6-1DDE-4835-B922-5348C6F53542.jpeg

Last edited:
If the walls are galvanized steel, it might be zinc oxide.

Do you have steel or polymer walls?

Test the walls with a magnet.

Is the yard always wet?
Polymer. See photos of build. This area is surrounded by concrete. We do get a lot of rain, but it drains well and there’s a French drain between the pool deck and patio area. There could be seepage in through the expansion cracks in the deck. I’m going to have hubby put some sealant in the one over the skimmer.

Reactions: JamesW
5F49F43B-F830-4757-BD02-C1214BE62358.jpeg47325B6D-3EA0-471F-90AA-813639ECDD70.jpeg11467385-0B14-4D23-BDE3-F490B1C1721F.jpeg
So here’s the bulge and the goop that comes out. I felt like Dr. Pimple Popper pushing this stuff out for over a half hour. This is the only area where this is occurring. Any idea? My thought is that something is dissolving behind the wall, but what and why?

• Wow
Reactions: Mdragger88
It looks like some kind of sealant/adhesive that is supposed to be filling the gap. Perhaps it got hot & became more viscous 🤷‍♀️ It also kind of appears that the liner is not in the track well in that spot. Maybe adding liner lock would close the gap, support the liner & prevent whatever that is from leaking out.
@jimmythegreek you ever seen this?

It looks like some kind of sealant/adhesive that is supposed to be filling the gap. Perhaps it got hot & became more viscous 🤷‍♀️ It also kind of appears that the liner is not in the track well in that spot. Maybe adding liner lock would close the gap, support the liner & prevent whatever that is from leaking out.
@jimmythegreek you ever seen this?
The goop build up pushed the liner out of the track. So far, it only comes out when I force it out. I’ve been trying to get it all out and get the liner back in the track. The pool is 7 years old and this is the first I’ve seen this. I don’t recall them using any kind of sealant during the install, but anything is possible. There is a build photo in my first post. Thanks for your input. I’m definitely baffled.

Last edited:
Lemme see if we can get this thread merged with the original

Reactions: Diane T.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So lets answer some of my silly questions:

-what does it feel like?

-what does it smell like?

-what happens if it gets wet?

-does it dry out if left the sun? shade?
Feels slimey. A little sticky. Adheres to surfaces. Viscous.
No noticeable smell. Didn’t intentionally smell it. I have enough problems without inhaling unknowns.
Globs that landed in the water stay globs. Washes off spatula with some effort. Doesn’t just rinse off.
Haven’t left it out in the sun or shade. I wiped it off onto paper towels.

It sure sounds like some kind of man made goop. Now WHERE is it coming from and why after 7 years???

Have you had ANY work done on the skimmer area as of late?

Look into the skimmer from the top and the inside from the pool. I don't think you will see anything but...............gotta make sure.

It sure sounds like some kind of man made goop. Now WHERE is it coming from and why after 7 years???

Have you had ANY work done on the skimmer area as of late?

Look into the skimmer from the top and the inside from the pool. I don't think you will see anything but...............gotta make sure.
I examined the skimmer inside and out. Nothing suspicious. Squished out a little more goop and really felt it. Not sticky. Dried hard. Felt granular, but don’t know if that’s from the concrete or coping. We’ve been sliding a spatula in the gap trying to get the liner edge back in. Managed to get the liner back in for the most part. There hasn’t been any work done on the pool. If it continues I think we’ll drain below the skimmer and remove the face plate to see what’s behind it. What do you think?

I like your plan BUT make sure to NOT let the liner move when you do take the face off. In fact I would have the water as high as you can to keep the liner from moving but still be able to take a peek behind the liner. I can' wait to read the next piece of the puzzle of the goop!

I like your plan BUT make sure to NOT let the liner move when you do take the face off. In fact I would have the water as high as you can to keep the liner from moving but still be able to take a peek behind the liner. I can' wait to read the next piece of the puzzle of the goop!
Thanks. That scared me out of looking! 🙄I might have to hire a “professional“.

I might have to hire a “professional“.
Just use GREAT care in who you use..............what make THEM a professional? Saying that if THEY do it and something goes wrong THEY have to fix it so there is that...........

I really think you could do it. So long as you keep your eyes wide open, take your time, and use care it should be okay.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.