Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello,

We're down to the final decisions for our pool project: pool finish. The StoneScapes Mini Pebble is our base finish (included in quote), but we saw samples of the Puerto Rico Blend that includes glass beads. The Puerto Rico Blend seemed smoother to the touch, but our contractor said he didn't think it was worth the extra cost (though he'd be happy to spend our money) and that we wouldn't notice the difference once everything was "sanded" down. I'm assuming he was just using simpleton speak for me, as from my understanding, there is now sanding/polishing in the process.

We're leaning towards Tropics Blue.

Anyone have experience with the smoothness and color differences between Mini Pebble, Puerto Rico Blend Small and Touch of Glass?

Smoothness has everything to do with application so pick your applicator wisely. These are pictures of a sand colored base micro finish , the first picture is the applicator finishing the plaster after glass has been hand thrown just before the last trowel, this put the most glass at the surface so it shows the most instead of it being deeper in the mix and never seen. Also the middle picture shows how water depth effects the color ( all pictures are of the same pool) hope this helps, Ray

Attachments

• 0C48931A-2267-46FA-B7D7-AC61C0AA80C8.jpeg
    0C48931A-2267-46FA-B7D7-AC61C0AA80C8.jpeg
    487.7 KB · Views: 307
  • A68A2F6E-C6F8-40C4-89FE-6DBD9C31CD66.jpeg
    A68A2F6E-C6F8-40C4-89FE-6DBD9C31CD66.jpeg
    518.7 KB · Views: 310
  • 4376A442-1FE1-4283-B3DF-EAA7CCB67546.jpeg
    4376A442-1FE1-4283-B3DF-EAA7CCB67546.jpeg
    696.2 KB · Views: 304
Reactions: jcalvano
Puerto Rico glass is not a finish, it’s just the color of the glass beads added to the plaster. We have Stonescapes micro pebble with Puerto Rico blend glass beads added. They are a blend of clear, cobalt and turquoise that are iridescent. My micro pebble is smooth but the beads don’t make it so. Stonescapes does have a finish that is polished down smooth that would have been wonderful to have but is quite an upgrade.

Hello,

We're down to the final decisions for our pool project: pool finish. The StoneScapes Mini Pebble is our base finish (included in quote), but we saw samples of the Puerto Rico Blend that includes glass beads. The Puerto Rico Blend seemed smoother to the touch, but our contractor said he didn't think it was worth the extra cost (though he'd be happy to spend our money) and that we wouldn't notice the difference once everything was "sanded" down. I'm assuming he was just using simpleton speak for me, as from my understanding, there is now sanding/polishing in the process.

We're leaning towards Tropics Blue.

Anyone have experience with the smoothness and color differences between Mini Pebble, Puerto Rico Blend Small and Touch of Glass?
I don’t have an answer for you but rather wanted to say I am here to ask the same question and am also in Mission Viejo! I know we are considering the hand cast Puerto Rico blend glass beads for sparkle but hadn’t considered smoothness until I started digging around here. Curious about who your PB is. Drop me a DM if you don’t mind sharing. Good luck on your pool!

I don’t have an answer for you but rather wanted to say I am here to ask the same question and am also in Mission Viejo! I know we are considering the hand cast Puerto Rico blend glass beads for sparkle but hadn’t considered smoothness until I started digging around here. Curious about who your PB is. Drop me a DM if you don’t mind sharing. Good luck on your pool!
We are using California Pools. We got three quotes and although they were not the least expensive, they made us feel the most comfortable. It is going great so far. Sorry for the late reply.

Puerto Rico glass is not a finish, it’s just the color of the glass beads added to the plaster. We have Stonescapes micro pebble with Puerto Rico blend glass beads added. They are a blend of clear, cobalt and turquoise that are iridescent. My micro pebble is smooth but the beads don’t make it so. Stonescapes does have a finish that is polished down smooth that would have been wonderful to have but is quite an upgrade.
Did you have a large upcharge from mini to micro ?

We are building a pool in TX using stonescapes mini pebble and have two weeks left to pick the color. trying to decide between Aqua Blue and Tahoe Blue, and maybe Caribbean Blue which seems to in between those two. Leaning toward getting the peurto Rico glass.

Nikilyn - Can you share the color of your pool in that pic? Thanks

We are building a pool in TX using stonescapes mini pebble and have two weeks left to pick the color. trying to decide between Aqua Blue and Tahoe Blue, and maybe Caribbean Blue which seems to in between those two. Leaning toward getting the peurto Rico glass.

Nikilyn - Can you share the color of your pool in that pic? Thanks
It’s Stonescapes Aqua White micro.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Same here they would not handcast . We just findihed Gunite and Ihave decided to do Aqua White with 2 bags of PR Blend glass plus a bag of the colbalt blue glass
They just did my plaster today. I had chosen Aqua White Mini Pebble with touch of glass, which is 10 bags of white pebbles and 2bags of sky blue glass beads for the 2 bag recipe. When they arrived they only had Puerto Rico blend and said they would have to cancel if I insisted on touch if glass beads. Of course they had already started prepping, they showed me the Puerto Rico blend, which they hadn’t added to the mix. They only hand cast. I was not happy as they had added abalone shells to the Puerto Rico blend as well and there was no way to know how much of anything they added. It looks nothing like what I asked for and they didn’t put anywhere near 100lbs of glass and 6 lbs of abalone shells. My pool builder was not there and could not understand my frustration. It looks like the picture of Puerto Rico blend in the pictures but doesn’t look like the Aqua White Touch of glass with sky blue beads that I requested.

• Sad
Reactions: Nikilyn
Same with my guy. I always have the reservation how it would have come out had they hand cast them but all-in-all, it still looks fabulous. Don't sweat it, my friend.
My guy only hand cast and put none in the mix. I asked for Aqua White Mini pebble with 2bags of touch of glass(sky blue) and a bag of abalone shells. They arrived with the Puerto Rico blend instead and said they would have to reschedule if I wanted touch of glass. So I will always wonder what it would have looked like if I got what I asked for 😬. They had everything in small buckets, the Rico blend and abalone shells, so it was very hard to know what they actually added. I’m upset with the whole process. There is no way I got 100lbs of Puerto Rico blend, which is what I paid for, but not what I ordered. I kept telling them to add more beads and they wouldn’t add anymore. If you pay for 2 bags and they don’t put any in the mix, shouldn’t you still get 2 bags?

Last edited:
We went with Wet Edge Laguna Blue. This was an upgrade that included bright blue glass beads. Once my wife saw the sample there was no going back. Was it worth the upgrade cost? Definitely. When in full sun, and at night with the lights on, the beads sparkle and gleam giving the finish a rich look.

Sparkle and bling - what more could you ask for? :)

They just did my plaster today. I had chosen Aqua White Mini Pebble with touch of glass, which is 10 bags of white pebbles and 2bags of sky blue glass beads for the 2 bag recipe. When they arrived they only had Puerto Rico blend and said they would have to cancel if I insisted on touch if glass beads. Of course they had already started prepping, they showed me the Puerto Rico blend, which they hadn’t added to the mix. They only hand cast. I was not happy as they had added abalone shells to the Puerto Rico blend as well and there was no way to know how much of anything they added. It looks nothing like what I asked for and they didn’t put anywhere near 100lbs of glass and 6 lbs of abalone shells. My pool builder was not there and could not understand my frustration. It looks like the picture of Puerto Rico blend in the pictures but doesn’t look like the Aqua White Touch of glass with sky blue beads that I requested.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.