Still getting sand.....

We replaced our broken laterals, have new sand in the filter and installed a new pump and various lines that were cracked and leaking, about a month ago.

We had been getting sand in the pool for several years, it got really bad so that's when we looked into the filter and discovered the broken laterals.

We finally vacuumed the sand out of the pool with our manual vacuum since our robotic cleaner does not pick up the sand,(or it just filters it back into the pool, not sure which) did this the other day.

Backwashed, rinsed, turned back to filter..........more sand back in the pool, along with a bit of previously vacuumed other debris. Do not notice anything coming out of the jets when they start up, unless it's so fine you can't see.

Any ideas??

I suppose some things to consider are:
- Correct sand? #20 pool silica sand? What brand, do you remember? Some brands have a bad reputation.
- How long are you rinsing after backwash?
- Maybe a lateral of standpipe is still damaged. When you repaired the laterals before and replaced the sand, did you fill the filter about 1 foot or so with water first before dumping the san in?

Thanks, I know we put in the correct sand #, but not the brand, bags have been thrown out and I don't remember.
I am rinsing for over a minute, should it be longer?
We replaced the entire lateral including the standpipe, it came as a complete unit.
We did not put water in the filter first...should we remove the lateral and standpipe and start over?

For rinsing, of course you'll go until clear in the site glass, then perhaps another 30-60 seconds after that. For the filling .... oooh... that one worries me. The sand is so heavy, and once poured/dumped in, it can press down hard on those laterals and snap one. The water helps cushion the blow of that weight. I'd watch the rising time again just to make sure that's good. If you're still seeing sand after that, you might have to open it up and take a look just to be sure none of those laterals got damaged.

For rinsing, of course you'll go until clear in the site glass, then perhaps another 30-60 seconds after that. For the filling .... oooh... that one worries me. The sand is so heavy, and once poured/dumped in, it can press down hard on those laterals and snap one. The water helps cushion the blow of that weight. I'd watch the rising time again just to make sure that's good. If you're still seeing sand after that, you might have to open it up and take a look just to be sure none of those laterals got damaged.

Thanks, That makes sense that we have a broken lateral again....we are getting more sand in than we did before we changed it! I fear we will never swim this summer....now the backwash sight glass broke!! It was leaking really badly, took it out..no gasket or "O" ring, cleaned it off and tried to put it back in and it broke....never ending stream of mishaps

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.