Still cloudy after months of effort

Hi Guys,
Yes, FC held at 25, although it might have been more like 10 hours. The pool is at our former residence. My Mother-in-Law lives there now.
CC has not yet come in at less than .5 ppm. I need to take pictures of the pool water in the clear glass in the morning. I do have the first pics. I'll post both tomorrow.
I did post a more complete set of test results earlier today. From what I can tell, TA is too high...

I also read on Hayward's site that their cartridges will not filter out algae...I wonder if dead algae is blasting right back into the pool. The filter cartridge is one month old, but maybe the whole thing (175 s.f.) is undersized? A new (second) cartridge is on its way. I do not currently have the ability to vacuum to waste, but I am sure I could figure out a way...
Thanks for the help. At least I do not feel like I have nothing else to try...

Hi All,
The "glass test' showed no visible difference at all. Water looks pretty clear, and there is no sediment at the bottom. If I can figure out how to post pictures, I will, but there may not be much to learn from them.
The return jet water looks milky white as it comes out the jet. up close, it looks like millions of time particle or bubbles... holding some of the same water in my hand, I see no particulate -- which is consistent with the current visibility of about 1 foot...
Chlorine is still maintaining... all I can think of is the high TA, but I am too new to know how much that affects clarity...

Color me discouraged,
David

This maybe a shot in the dark, but try this, let you FC drift down to 9 or so, then test your pH and post that result.

Using the current water results your CSI is right at 0.39 (high) but if you change nothing except your pH, let say 8.2, then your CSI jumps up to 1.39 (extremely high). This may have cause CaCO3 to precipitate out of water. CaCO3 is insoluble in water thus the cloudiness. I'm sure the experts will chime in if they disagree. It has happened to me, this is why I never use soda ash. I solved the problem by lowering the pH and using some off brand Walmart clarify product. Not sure which one helped
the most but my water was clear by day two.

Hi JA,
The last time I checked PH (a few days ago), it was the same as previous tests -- about 7.2. I seem to be getting millions of tiny (almost like very small bubbles) flakes of something that gets through the filter and blows back into the pool via the return -- dead algae? Soda Ash? Calcium? Whatever it is, the water coming from the jet is chock full of the stuff -- it looks like milk. When I hold some water in my hand, or put it in a glass, the water appears to be clear, but I also have pretty good visibility to about one foot in depth...
TA is high. I am reluctant to add Muriatic acid because it would drive the PH down even further, but maybe it is time to try this or clarifier. I did try some Clorox clarifier several weeks ago, and would up with a beige, greenish mess on the cartridge. that comes off in larger flakes when sprayed while cleaning. I was guessing it was dead algae "slime"...
Any advice will be welcomed. The kids are swimming in the pool to no ill effects except reddish eyes from the higher chlorine concentration, but it would be great to figure this out...

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just so you know the pH test is not accurate with free chlorine over 10 ppm. Before you add the clarifier I would put that new filter in place and give it a few days...that may clear up the pool using the new filter.

Hi Guys,
I will try the brand new filter. I have one that is only one month old and the tiny stuff was blowing right through it...

I spoke with one of the tech guys at Duda... this could be a cool add-on. Where do I install/put the bag? It would be great to rig up something at the return jet... any ideas here?
And the guy at Duda said that some people cut the rigid ring at the end of the bag off and use in conjunction with their skimmer basket. The issue that I see is that the maximum diameter bag is 7" , and the skimmer basket is over 8". I am guessing that there is not much stretch to this material...
I will start with the new filter, and go from there.I look forward to any advice on the above...

Thanks,
David

Hi Guys,
Well, you guys nailed it... I took a picture of the return, which clearly showed a plume of milky-looking water coming out of it, and then took another immediately after installs a brand new cartridge... There is NO VISIBLE PARTICULATE coming through now! (Oops, see UPDATE below).
It is still hard for me to believe, since I had purchased a new filter cartridge a month ago, but I confirmed that the new cartridge and the older cartridges I bought the filter used, and it came with two cartridges of unknown age) were allowing exactly the same amount through...
My only theory is that I did something wrong, even though that would mean doing it wrong 20 times by now, but somehow getting this one in perfectly...
UPDATE! It took about the ten minutes that I have been sitting poolside while writing this, but the "milk" is back. It doesn't look QUITE as bad as before, but it is early...
I'm gonna try some UltrBright clarifier that I still have, and see if that helps. SOMETHING has got to give :)

Hi All,
I had to leave the pool alone for a few days (it is at my Mother-in-Law's house, and it was already holding FC in the 20's) for a few days while I dealt with a stomach bug...
Today I went to uncover the pool so that my son could swim, and I was pleasantly surprised by what I could see -- the bottom of the pool ! There was still particulate in it, but SOMETHING had worked. My guess is that the clarifier I put into the pool on Friday afternoon was helping. I have ordered the Slime Bag, but it will not arrive for a few more days.
This was the first time I could clearly see the bottom of this pool for a very long time... like maybe 2 years.What I saw on the deep end made me realize what has been the cause of my CC number... a layer of dark brown slime near the main drain.
I thought I had vacuumed and swept everything out months ago, but i couldn't really confirm that until today, when I found out how wrong I was. I quickly got my vacuum and leaf canister and set about to work -- a big mistake, it turned out, since my kid's buddies were to arrive in 10 minutes.
Within 5 minutes, I had a leaf canister full of nasty-looking "chocolate milk" that smelled like septic... gross! What is even worse is the minute or so after that, when the nastiness blew through the filter and back into the pool via the return. Needless to say, my kid go out of the pool pretty quickly...
I now know a few very important things that were never clear to me before:

1. I can get this pool clear with a bit more work and some clarifier
2. The test kit was right all along, telling me that something was still in there, whether or not I could see it.
3. The Trouble Free Pool forum has been invaluable in figuring all of this out. By taking the mystery away, all that is left is a logical plan to follow. My kid actually asked me today if I thought our pool could be as clear as the community pool at the park. I was happy to tell him that the answer is "yes" :)

My plan of action is to vacuum the slime and get it out, once and for all. i also intend to add a little more clarifier. My remaining question is how much? So many people have talked about the evils of using too much clarifier that I am worried about UNDERdoing it... so far, I have added about 6 ounces (again, our pool is 18,000 gallons) over two sessions, the last being Friday of last week.

Our kid is 8 years old, and we (and mainly he and his friends) have enjoyed getting into the pool almost every day this summer. It has gone from a constant source of irritation with my wife to a nice feature at "grandma's", thanks to the help I have received here!

Thanks,
David

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.