Steps to lower PH and where to buy higher strength chlorine

Renee1

Jun 6, 2016
Jackson, NJ
I searched the forum but had trouble locating anything that says how to lower pH.....I mean the actual steps. CAn I just add the powder to the skimmer, or dilute it and add it directly to the pool?

Also, does anyone have any suggestions as to where I can look for higher strength chlorine....types of stores, etc? I can only find 6 percent around me and it's a lot of chlorine to go through so I was trying to source higher strength.

thanks so much,

Renee

For the pH question, or ANY chemical we recommend for that matter, always refer to the Recommended Chemicals page (link in my sig below) and in each section it talks about how to add to the pool. For lowering pH specifically, pool stores will often push dry acid which we don't necessarily recommend. Muriatic acid (35% strength) is generally the weapon of choice, poured slowly new the return jet(s) with good circulation. If you have poor circulation, help it along with a few brush strokes of the pool brush.

I'll have to leave the chlorine question for some locals in your area who may know a good deal.

Walmart typically carries 10% liquid chlorine in the Garden Section

Home Depot, Menards and Lowes typically carry 10% in the Garden Section. Those are kept outside so be sure to check the dates.

Pool Stores typically carry Liquid 'Shock'. Same thing as Liquid Chlorine.

Farm stores, feed stores, etc

For the chlorine question try your local pool store. Some of them will let you put a deposit down on 2.5 gals jugs. You take the jug back to get it filled when needed. I have 4 jugs as that is what my pool box holds. Most pool store's chlorine is rated at 12%.

You can also ask your local cleaner supply that services restaurants and such. They may sell chlorine in bulk.

Walmart may sell 10% "pool shock" in the pool department.

Let us know what you find in your area.

Kim:kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.