Step gasket replacement with new liner install

tim0476

May 9, 2024
Just got a new liner installed and had the pool company replace the step gasket, face plates, beauty strips etc. First let me say I have ZERO confidence in this pool company now given the issues they have had with the liner and the attitude of the persons who came to do the work.

My biggest concern is the work they did on the steps.

1) See the attached pictures. Both pictures are of the horizontal strip and the bottom of the steps. Notice on one the gasket appears to go all the way to the end, but on the other (lower left corner) the inner part of the gasket stops around 2 inches before it reaches the end. I don't know much about these step gaskets, but will that be a source of a leak.
2) I know they stripped a few screws when reinstalling (I should not have let them use a power drill), and I think they used larger screws to overcome that. This normal and OK?
3) The protective "L" cap in the picture is the old part. They said they cannot find a new set. Without that cap, the ends are pretty sharp and close to if not touching the liner. What can or should be done here?
4) Lastly, he ran a rather large ugly bead of GE Silicone caulk around the gasket and face plate. I understand that is like some kind of added layer of protection, in his words. I don't know that GE Silicone caulk is really made for underwater application. I would not be so concerned about it if I didn't feel that caulk was my first and only layer of leak protection given my confidence about the gasket install. Make sense?

Appreciate any help/comments on the 4 items above. Obviously I don't want to discover a step leak after the pool is filled and I spend $300 on startup chemicals.

Attachments

• IMG_3396.jpg
    IMG_3396.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3395.jpg
    IMG_3395.jpg
    240.3 KB · Views: 15
Nothing has been done yet by the pool company. What I have now is basically a cosmetic issue the best I can tell (the beauty strip will not snap in). Here is my current thinking, so tell me if it makes sense. Removing the faceplate and resetting the gasket with the liner already cut-in can create a functional problem (leak) that is not there now because it may be difficult to reinstall things under those circumstances (and the pool company will not take the time and care to get it right, I assure you).

So, should I just install the beauty strip with a little bit of PVC cement and be done with it. I know it will be impossible to get off without cutting it out and/or tearing up the faceplate, but technically I would only need to remove it when replacing the liner anyway. In the event there is a leak, they will likely repair it below the water line anyhow without removing the strip. I do plan to caulk all the way around it with Boss 801 neutral cure silicone for pool and spa.

Hope my thinking makes sense. Shoot it down if need be.